Wetlands and biodiversity is the theme for World Wetlands Day 2020.
Wetlands are rich with biodiversity. This year's theme is a unique opportunity to highlight wetland biodiversity, its status, why it matters and promote actions to reverse its loss.
Urban wetlands give cities more places to enjoy and important as water filters and in flood control. They absorb and store excess rainfall and provide green spaces. But latest estimates show our biodiversity is declining, and wetlands are disappearing three times faster than forests.
Show you care by getting involved in World Wetlands Day 2020. You could:
- have a family picnic beside a lake or river
- explore the waterway by kayak
- organise a community walk, bike or run for wetlands
- join a guided walk by an expert on wetland plants or birds
- attend a workshop or talk, for example, on flax weaving
There are lots of possibilities.