Wetlands and climate change is the theme for World Wetlands Day 2019.
Urban wetlands make cities more liveable as places to enjoy and for their role as water filters and in flood control. Lakes, ponds, rivers and steams enhance the landscape and are desirable places to live next to or overlook.
Less appealing are swampy areas or ephemeral wetlands periodically wet. These areas are often drained for urban development, especially if neglected and overgrown in weeds. However wetlands absorb and store excess rainfall and provide ‘green space’ for urban dwellers. Wetlands deserve to be loved!
Show youcare by getting involved in World Wetlands Day 2019. You could:
- have a family picnic beside a lake or river
- explore the waterway by kayak
- organise a community walk, bike or run for wetlands
- join a guided walk by an expert on wetland plants or birds
- attend a workshop or talk, for example, on flax weaving
There are lots of possibilities.