Our #NatureThroughNewEyes Instagram competition for Conservation Week 2020 was all about capturing the little details in nature and appreciating what surrounds us.
Participants uploaded images to Instagram using the hashtag #NatureThroughNewEyes and tagged @docgovtnz. See the entries we had below.
After hours of poring over the more than 3,000 entries, the judges selected the following winners:
Grand prize winner: Roland D from Maungatapere
Roland's photo of a jumping spider stunned the judges who agreed that it hit all the criteria. It was interesting, creative, technically well-executed, with good colour, perspective and composition.
Roland received the Grand Prize pack of a Canon’s EOS RP 26-megapixel full frame camera with 4k video capabilities. He also received lenses perfect for wildlife action shots and a carrier bag.
Grand prize photo: Roland D's photo of a jumping spider
Roland said of his picture:
“A male jumping spider stops to check out the funny looking hairless ape.
Because our garden is extensively planted with native plants we are regularly visited by many of New Zealand’s endemic creatures. In this case, a jumping spider patrolling his territory outside my front door.”
Runner-up prize winner: Luke Gardener from Christchurch
Luke Gardener from Christchurch was our runner-up for his photo of native coprosma stems.
He received a Canon EOS 850D with 24.1-megapixel capture and advanced image sensors. He also received a lens for all-round photography, one for macro details, and a carrier bag.
Runner-up prize photo: Luke Gardener's picture of coprosma stems after rainfall
Luke said of his picture:
“We have been planting numerous natives around the family home I grew up in Dunedin.
I happened to be visiting last week and it rained most of the week. However, I noticed how much brighter the coprosma stems were after rain when laden with water."
I took a few shots and I was most pleased with this one because it was hard to tell that it was plant, it could easily have been an image of neural pathways in the brain, or a celestial body.”
Prizes pack details
A Canon prize pack of a premium camera, two lenses, and a carrier bag were awarded for the best picture and to one runner up. Both prizes have been generously provided by Canon New Zealand.
Grand prize winner prize pack
- Canon EOS RP
- RF24-240mm travel lens
- RF35mm macro lens
- Canon twin lens bag
This set-up has a current retail value of $4,599.
Runner-up prize pack
- Canon EOS 850D
- 18-55mm all-round lens
- EF-S60mm macro lens
- Canon twin lens bag
This set-up has a current retail value of $2,399.
Terms and conditions
- The competition opens on Thursday 6 August 2020 at 12:00 am and closes Sunday 23 August 2020 at 11:59 pm. We will accept no entries outside of these times and dates.
- To enter, you must be a legal resident of New Zealand not employed by DOC or an immediate family member of someone employed by DOC.
- Entries must be made through the Instagram app. If you are under 13 years old, you must have the permission of a parent or caregiver and submit through their account. If submitting for a child, parents/caregivers agree to be the point of contact for the submission and to be contacted by DOC if the entry is selected as a winner.
- We will only consider entries valid if the #NatureThroughNewEyes hashtag is included and DOC's Instagram account, @docgovtnz, is tagged.
- The entrant must be the original author of the work entered as described in the Copyright Act 1994. Any attempt at plagiarism will cause immediate disqualification.
- By entering, entrants give permission to DOC to use any materials submitted for the competition for social media, website and other promotional purposes. We will endeavour to discuss any such promotions with the author before publishing.
- If the organisers cannot open or upload the entries submitted because of technical errors caused by file quality or if the file is damaged, the organiser reserves the right not to include the entries in the competition. We will enter into no correspondence with the entrant.
- Entrants agree to be contacted by the organisers regarding this competition.
- We will notify the winners by Thursday 27 August 2020.
- The judges' decision is final and we will enter into no correspondence.
- Prizes are non-transferable and are not redeemable for cash.
- If for any reason this competition cannot run as planned because of any cause beyond the control of the organiser which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition, the promotion may be discontinued at the discretion of the organiser. The organiser accepts no responsibility for such an event.
- The organiser and its associated agencies and companies shall not be liable for any loss or damage suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) claimed or sustained, because of taking part in this competition except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- The entrant's consent to these terms and conditions is through their submission of their image via Instagram using the tag and hashtag described above.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.