DOC is celebrating 50 years of Conservation Week!
’50 things’ is a shout out to Kiwi kids who love to play outside and in nature. We're asking you to share your favourite activities – at the beach, the river, local parks and backyards – wherever you love to spend time outside. Your ideas will contribute to a poster of 50 things that make up a classic Kiwi childhood.
Entries will be entered into a prize draw to win one of 50 ‘Get out into nature’ prize packs. Winning ideas and artwork will be incorporated into a downloadable poster for all New Zealanders to enjoy for the next 50 years of conservation.
Who can enter
New Zealand children aged 13 years and under.
How to enter
Entries are accepted between 14 September and 13 October 2019.
- Draw and/or write what you enjoy doing in nature in the circle of the competition sheet.
- Tell us why you love doing this activity.
- Submit your entry by post, online, or hand it in.
Post your entry
You can post your entry to:
50 Things Team
Department of Conservation
Whare Kaupapa Atawhai
18 Manners Street
Submit your entry online
You can submit a scanned copy or photograph of your entry.
Upload your entry using our online form, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hand it in
You can take your entry to any of DOC's Conservation Week events or to a DOC visitor centre.
If you have any questions regarding the 50 Things campaign or DOC education resource, contact conservED@doc.govt.nz.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter of the ‘50 Things’ competition is the Department of Conservation (DOC). DOC can be contacted in relation to this competition by email at any time at conservED@doc.govt.nz
- The competition will be hosted at www.doc.govt.nz/50things
- The competition is taking place in New Zealand between 14 September 2019 and 13 October 2019.
- All entries must be received by 11:59 pm on 13 October 2019. Entries received after this closing time will not be considered.
- The competition is open to all New Zealand children aged 13 years and under.
- Entries are welcome from individuals or organised groups, including but not limited to Scouts, Cubs, Brownies, Girl Guides, Kiwi Conservation Club, and sports clubs, preschool, primary and intermediate schools and Kura Kaupapa and Kōhanga Reo.
- Where an address/email address is provided of a parent/guardian, the entry will be entered into a prize draw to win one of fifty ‘get out into nature’ packs.
- Fifty of the winning designs will be featured in the ‘50 things to do in nature before you’re 123’ final product.
- Multiple entries per person can be submitted and will be accepted.
- Entrants must own the intellectual property rights, including the copyright in or have permission to use any materials submitted for the competition. The promoter will not be responsible for breach of any copyright or other third party intellectual property and proprietary rights by entrants.
- By entering, entrants give permission to DOC to use any materials submitted for the competition within the ‘50 things to do in nature before you’re 123’ product.
- By entering, entrants give permission to DOC to use anonymised content for research purposes, with the results published.
- All entrants must provide the name and email address of a parent or guardian, teacher or group leader over 18 years of age. This adult will be responsible for liaising with DOC to coordinate the details of the prize.
- To be eligible for the prize, the competition entry must:
- include the name of an outdoor activity in nature
- include a drawing of an outdoor activity in nature
- include a description of why the entrant likes this outdoor activity in nature.
- Permission from parent/guardian to take part. Inclusion of a name, signature, and address / email address of parent, guardian, teacher or group leader over 18 years of age.
- The following criteria will be used to decide on the winner:
- Evidence of an activity outside in the natural environment.
- Accessibility of the activity to all New Zealand children.
- Creativity of the activity.
- Entries are to be submitted via post, via email or handed in to a DOC Visitor Centre or office.
- The judging panel will consist of DOC staff and children from a selection of schools.
- The judges’ decision is final on all matters relating to this promotion.
- The prize winners will be announced and profiled on the 50 Things website from 11 November 2019.
- The prizes are not transferable and cannot be exchanged or redeemed for the cash equivalent.
- The prizes must be claimed within five weeks of the prize winners being announced (i.e. by 16 December 2019).
- Each of the winning entrants will receive a personal copy of the final ‘50 things to do in nature before you’re 12 3/4’ poster.
- The winning entrants must be willing to have their artwork featured on the DOC website.
- The promoter reserves the right to terminate or change the competition or any or all of the prize components at any time without notice.
- If for any reason this competition is not able to be run as planned, due to any cause beyond the control of the competition organiser which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the promotion may be abandoned or postponed at the unfettered discretion of the promoter. The promoter accepts no responsibility for such an event.
- Entry into this prize draw is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. The competition and these Terms and Conditions are governed by New Zealand Law.