Kākāpō Recovery Update: read past issues or subscribe to receive regular emails from us.
Follow us on social media
- Kākāpō Recovery on Facebook
- Andrew Digby, Kākāpō Recovery's Scientific Advisor, on Twitter
- Sirocco, Conservation Spokesbird, on Twitter
Videos about kākāpō
Sirocco on TV
Our very own spokesbird kākāpō starred with Mark Carwadine and Stephen Fry on Last Chance To See on Sunday evening on Prime TV. Click the image to find out more.
The Unnatural History of the Kakapo (external site)
Kākāpō now have their own feature-length documentary! Created by Elwin Productions, it follows the Kākāpō Recovery Programme from 2006 - 2009.
Te Hauturu-o-Toi/Little Barrier kākāpō release
See Dobby, a kākāpō from Chalky Island in Fiordland National Park, being released into his new home on Te Hauturu-o-Toi/Little Barrier Island.
Kākāpō chick feeding
This footage shows a two-day-old kākāpō chick being fed by human "foster-mum", National Kākāpō Team technical specialist Deidre Vercoe.
Kākāpō blog posts
Counting rimu fruit on kākāpō islands
15 March 2018
The Kākāpō Recovery Team monitor the levels of rimu fruit growing on both Whenua Hou and Anchor Island as masting (mass fruiting) of rimu is a known trigger for kākāpō to breed.
The fatal flaw in New Zealand birds’ nests
26 November 2017
New Zealand's birds aren't known for being particularly savvy when it comes to defending themselves from introduced predators.
Second Nature: An update from Nicola Toki
21 June 2017
Threatened Species Ambassador Nicola Toki updates us on the work to set science-based goals to achieve better outcomes with for our threatened flora and fauna.
Kākāpō in the news
Listed by date.
- Hutching, Gerard, 1998. The Natural World of New Zealand. Viking, Penguin Books (NZ) Ltd. pp 169-172.
- Climo, G. & Ballance, A. 1997. Hoki – the story of a kākāpō. Godwit Publishing.
- Heather, B. & Robertson, H. 1996. Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand. Viking.
- Morris, R. and Smith, H. 1995. Wild South: Saving New Zealand’s Endangered Birds. 2nd ed. TVNZ and Random House NZ Ltd.
- Gaze, P. 1994. Rare and Endangered New Zealand Birds: Conservation and Management. Canterbury University Press.
- Adams, D. & Cawardine, M. 1990. Last Chance to See. Heinemann.
- Butler, D. 1989. Quest for the Kākāpō. Heinemann Reed.
- Forshaw, J.M. & Cooper, W.T. 1989. Parrots of the World. 3rd (revised) ed. Lansdowne Press. pp 296-299.
- Cemmick, D. & Veitch, D. 1987. Kākāpō Country: the story of the world’s most unusual bird. Hodder & Stoughton.
- Best, H.A. & Powlesland, R.G. 1985. Kākāpō. J. McIndoe & New Zealand Wildlife Service.
- Merton, D.V. 1985. in Robertson, C.J.R. (ed.) Reader’s Digest Complete Book of New Zealand Birds.Sydney: Reader’s Digest Services. pp 242-243.
- King, C.M. 1984. Immigrant Killers: introduced predators and the conservation of birds in New Zealand.Oxford University Press.
- Turbott, E.G. 1967. Buller’s Birds of New Zealand. Whitcombe & Tombs Ltd.
- Anon. 1977. Kākāpō conservation attempt. Te Namu – Journal of the Fiordland National Park Board 3: pp 12.
- Best, E. 1908. Maōri forest lore. Transactions of New Zealand Institute (TNZI) 41: pp 231 – 285.
- Best, E. 1942. Forest Lore of the Maōri. Dominion Museum Bulletin 14: pp 211 – 216.
- Buller, W.L. 1877. Further notes on the ornithology of New Zealand. TNZI 10: pp 202.
- Buller, W.L. 1888. A History of the Birds of New Zealand. 2nd ed., Vol. 1. London.
- Buller, W.L. 1905. Supplement to the Birds of New Zealand. Vol. 2. London.
- Deslongchamps, E. 1880. In Annuaire due Musee d’histoire naturelle de Caen. Paris: pp 45 – 53.
- Dieffenbach, E. 1843. Travels in New Zealand. J. Murray.
- Garland, G.J. 1950. Rare ground parrot. Weekly News, Auckland, 8/2/50.
- Gould, J. 1865. Kākāpō, In Handbook to the Birds of Australia: pp 543 – 544.
- Gray, G.R. 1845. Genera of Birds. British Museum, London.
- Gray, G.R. 1847. Description of Strigops habroptilus. Proceedings of. Zoological Society 15: pp 61 – 62.
- Haast, J. von. 1861. Report of a topographical and geological exploration of the western districts of the Nelson province, New Zealand, pp 138 – 39. Publ. by authority, Nelson.
- Haast, J. 1864. Notes on the ground-parrot of New Zealand (Strigops habroptilus). Ibis. pp 340-346.
- Hector, J. 1863. Geological expedition to the west coast of Otago, New Zealand. Otago Provincial Government Gazette 6: pp 435 – 468.
- Henry, R. 1895 – 1908. Resolution Island reports. Appendices of the Journals of the New Zealand House of Representatives. Government Print.
- Henry, R. 1903. The Habits of the Flightless Birds of New Zealand; with Notes on Other N.Z. Birds.Government Print.
- Hill, S. & Hill, J. 1987. Richard Henry of Resolution Island – a biography: J. McIndoe & NZ Wildlife Service.
- Lyall, D. 1852. On the habits of Strigops habroptilus or kākāpō. Proceedings of Zoological Society 20: pp 31 – 33
- Pascoe, J.D. 1952. The Great Journey. Pegasus Press.
- Pascoe, J.D. 1957. Mr Explorer Douglas. A. H. & A.W. Reed.
- Reischek, A. 1884. Notes on New Zealand ornithology. TNZI 17: pp 187-198.
- Reischek, A. 1930. Yesterdays in Maōriland: New Zealand in the eighties: Jonathan Cape.