- The promoter of the 'Name the chick' competition is the Department of Conservation (DOC). DOC can be contacted in relation to this competition by email at any time at email@example.com.
- This competition consists of two parts with a name submission round and a name voting round.
- The competition is open to anyone.
- The name nomination round of the competition will open on 27 July 2020 at 10 am and continue until Sunday 2 August 2020 at 11:59 pm (New Zealand time).
- Submissions should include a brief description behind the inspiration for the name.
- One submission allowed per person.
- All submissions must be received by Sunday 2 August 2020 at 11:59 pm (New Zealand time). Entries received after this closing time will not be considered.
- A panel of judges from DOC will then narrow down entries to the top twenty names based on the judging criteria below. The Te Poari a Pukekura (Pukekura Co-Management Trust) will then vote on the top five names.
- The judging criteria is as follows:
- relevance to the theme Celebrating Connection, chick, colony or species
- originality and creativity of the name and inspiration
- reflective of the characteristics of the species or their habitat on the peninsula.
- The top five names will be added to the website for the public to vote a winning name. Voting will open 19 August 2020 9 am (New Zealand time) and close 26 August 2020 5 pm (New Zealand time).
- The winning name announcement will be by the end of the following week after the competition closes.
- Three spot prizes will be given out. Two spot prizes by random selection from all name submissions that meet the submission requirements and the third spot prize by random selection from all name submissions in the top 20 names shortlist.
- DOC staff and their families are not eligible to enter.
Selecting a winner
- If the winning name was nominated by more than one person, the final winner will be drawn at random by a DOC representative.
- The winner will be contacted by a DOC representative to confirm if they are able to do the virtual tour and ask for their postage address.
- The other prize winners will also be contacted to ask for their postage address.
- The winner announcement date will be by the end of the following week after the competition closes.
- Finalists will be profiled in social media, may be profiled in the media, or on the DOC website.
- Decisions of the judges are final on all matters relating to this promotion.
- All prizes can be internationally shipped.
- The winning prize package includes a professionally printed and framed A3 photo of this years chick and a virtual one-on-one tour with a DOC ranger around the headland, the nest and Royal Albatross Centre. This tour will be conducted on either Skype, Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Date and time for the tour will be negotiated directly with the winner to work with the ranger's schedules as well as the potential difference in time zones.
- Second prize is a glass and bamboo albatross drink bottle and the book 'Albatross: Their World, Their Ways' by Julian Fitter, Mark Jones, and Tui Roy.
- The three spot prizes will be made up of various items from the following: Albatross tea towel, keep cup, soft fluffy albatross toy, albatross print and DOC merchandise.
- If the chosen winner is not able to attend the virtual tour, a runner up will be selected (the name with the second highest number of votes at 26 August 2020 5 pm (New Zealand time) or if there were multiple entries with the same winning name DOC will redraw a runner up from this group.)
- The prize cannot be exchanged or redeemed for the cash equivalent.
- The winner must agree to have their virtual tour documented for DOC marketing/social media purposes.
- All winners must be available for promotional opportunities including, but not limited to, interviews for media and through blog articles featured on the DOC website, social media channels etc.
- Information provided to enter this competition will be held securely by DOC and used for the purpose of administering the competition.
- The promoters reserve the right to terminate or change the competition or any or all of the prize components at any time without notice.
- If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned (due to any cause beyond the control of the competition organisers which corrupts or affects the administration security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion), the promotion may be abandoned or postponed at the discretion of the promoter. The organisers accept no responsibility for such an event.
- The organisers will take all reasonable steps to ensure the prize winner's health and safety while taking part in the competition, but the winners also have a responsibility to take all reasonable steps to keep safe also. The organiser's health and safety processes are not intended to replace the group's own health and safety requirements.
- The organisers and their associated agencies and companies shall not be liable for any loss or damage suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), or for personal injury suffered or sustained, as a result of participating in this promotion except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Entry into this prize draw is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. The competition and these Terms and Conditions are governed by New Zealand Law.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.