Motuihe Island Campsite
Located in Motuihe Island in the Auckland region
IntroductionCamp on the headland near a sandy, sheltered beach and explore the island by foot. Good boat anchorage. Home to kiwi, kākāriki, saddleback and shore skink.
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
The Motuihe campsite is divided into five different zones.
- Confidence Course: 5 tent sites on the western side of the sealed road, 25 m uphill from the toilet block.
- Parade Ground: 25 tent sites on the headland above wharf road. Follow the timber box steps 100 m west of the toilet block.
- Captain's Camping: 3 tent sites located at the end of the sealed road, uphill and to the left (325 m).
- Puriri Ridge: 10 tent sites south of the sealed road amongst the puriri trees. Go uphill and around to the left (250 m).
- Range: 5 tent sites south of the water tank tower. Go left off the sealed road (375 m).
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Campsite Pass bookings must be booked online before occupying a site. If you do not pre-book, bookings may be made by campground staff (if present) and will incur a $10 service charge.
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for 1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024 will open in 2023. The opening date will be announced on this page in late March 2023.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your booking will be for a site, which will be allocated or selected on arrival.
Located on the North-western headland of Motuihe Island/Te Motu-a-Ihenga. There is a good boat anchorage adjacent to the Motuihe campsite.
The campground is to the left of the road coming off the Motuihe wharf, up the path to the right of the toilet block, only a few minutes walk from Motuihe wharf.
There is no transport available on the island to transport camping equipment.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1772695, N5925165
Latitude: -36.80361291, Longitude: 174.93584276
- Motuihe campsite does not provide wood barbeques, fireplaces, showers, picnic tables or cooking shelters.
- No fires. No fireworks. Gas cookers may be used.
- There is no power supply or light at this campsite. No generators. Bring a torch.
- Water available–this campsite has a spring-fed rural water supply. Giardia may be present. For your health, boil drinking water for at least 3 minutes.
- Pack in, pack out. There are no rubbish bins on this island. Take your rubbish with you.
- The historic water tower is a major hazard, and the site is fenced off. Do not enter the inside of the perimeter fence or the tower.
Camp only minutes from clear sheltered beaches and easily explore the entire island by foot.
|Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 9 379 6476|
No physical address
Contact via email or phone
PO Box 32242
|Full office details|
|Kauaeranga Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 7 867 9080|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
995C Kauaeranga Valley Road
PO Box 343
|Full office details|