Find out what concession you will need and how to apply for one below.
Applying for a concession for the first time can be a little tricky. To ensure your application goes smoothly we offer a free pre-application meeting. We’ll also help you contact the local iwi to assess whether your proposed activity will have any cultural effects.
Type of concession
If you plan to undertake guided walking on a conforming track you will need a:
- Conforming concession – for guided walking on specific tracks only.
See conforming track schedules for a list of the tracks that are available for guided walking. To apply for activities or locations not listed in the conforming track schedules refer to land-based guided activities.
- Fill in the conforming guided walking permit application form (PDF, 104K) or (Word, 379K).
- Download the relevant conforming track schedules and indicate which locations and the number of trips per year you wish to apply for.
- Email the form and track schedules to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will invoice you once we have processed your application. The cost of your application will depend on the number of tracks you apply for. The standard fee is $400 plus GST ($460 including GST) for up to 10 tracks.
Another $115 plus GST ($132.25 including GST) is charged for every additional 10 tracks:
- 1-20 tracks costs $515 plus GST
- 21-30 tracks costs $630 plus GST.
Your application should be processed within five working days of receipt. The timeframe may be longer where iwi consultation is required.
You will also be required to pay ongoing concession fees.
As part of your application you will need an independently audited safety plan.
You also need to read and understand the actual and potential effects of your proposal in the application form. These outline the rules to follow to ensure the environmental impact of your trip is minimal.
Find out tracks that are available for guided walking in each region.
- Northland (Word, 71K)
- Auckland (Word, 86K)
- Coromandel (Word, 73K)
- Waikato (Word, 63K)
- Bay of Plenty (Word, 87K)
- East Coast (Word, 49K)
- Central North Island (Word,102K)
- Taranaki (Word, 60K)
- Manawatu/Whanganui (Word, 94K)
- Hawke's Bay (Word, 60K)
- Wairarapa (Word, 74K)
- Wellington/Kapiti (Word, 63K)
- Nelson/Tasman (Word, 173K)
- Marlborough (Word, 117K)
- West Coast (Word, 270K)
- Canterbury (Word, 140K)
- Otago (Word, 197K)
- Fiordland (Word, 55K)
- Southland (Word, 74K)
For more information or assistance with your conforming concessions contact the nearest of these DOC offices.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.