Positions available April to October 2019.
Camp host positions are for a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 4 weeks. Each fortnight runs from Tuesday to Tuesday to allow for a hand over between incoming and outgoing hosts on Tuesday mornings, with a DOC staff member on hand.
We cannot guarantee your requested period, so we recommend you list a few preferences on the application form.
Marfells Beach is situated 40 minutes south of Blenheim, past the salt works at Grassmere. This area is great for gathering seafood such as crayfish, paua and other fish. From the beach campers can look directly across the sea to the lower North Island. The historic Cape Campbell light house is a two hour walk further along the coast.
Cats and dogs are not permitted at Marfells Beach.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- helping visitors enjoy their stay
- encouraging people to pay their camp fees
- providing general information to campers
- passing on maintenance requirements to DOC staff
- radio communication with the DOC office.
- cleaning toilet blocks
What to expect
The position is suitable for single people, couples or families.
Training: Full training and induction will be provided, however applicants need to have the following attributes:
- able to relate to a range of people in a friendly manner
- mature, sensible and have a good attitude
- fluent in English and have a practical outlook.
Facilities: Camp hosts will need to be self sufficient. The only infrastructure at Marfells Beach is two ablution blocks. There is no electricity.
Induction: At the induction, a DOC ranger will ensure you know your role, issue you with the necessary equipment and make sure you have read, understood and signed any health and safety information.
What to bring
If you are selected you will be given more information about what to bring closer to the time.
What will be provided for you:
- full training and support
- DOC camp host identification
- a VHF radio, for contact with the duty ranger.
How to apply
- fill in the online application form, and
- email a letter of reference from a friend/employer/previous camp host supervisor outlining your suitability for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We reserve the right to conduct a police check as part of this process.