Dates available from October 2018 to April 2019.
Positions are for 1-4 weeks or longer - this can be negotiated. Volunteers start and end their stay on a Monday or Tuesday, depending on the site.
Positions are available for reliable and responsible campsite hosts over the summer period. There are volunteer opportunities at these campsites:
- Onamalutu campsite: campsite provided (own tent or campervan required), 2–4 week positions
- Molesworth Cob Cottage: accommodation provided, 1 week positions
- Molesworth Acheron cottage: accomodation provided, 1 week positions
- Rarangi Beach Campsite: campsite provided (campervan required)
- Whites Bay: accommodation provided, 1 or 2 week positions
You have duties and responsibilities for 3-4 hours each day, including:
- information sharing
- fee collection
- checking in
- radio communication
- cleaning the facilities.
What to expect
DOC ranger hut at Molesworth
Accommodation: For all positions, a free campsite and/or accommodation is provided.
Food: To be provided by campsite host.
Cost: No charge.
Fitness required: Low level of fitness required.
Essential skills and characteristics:
- able to relate to a range of people in a friendly manner
- fit and healthy
- mature, sensible and have a good attitude
- have a practical outlook and able to work alone
- culturally sensitive
- first aid certificate preferable
- conversant in English
- compliance with DOC Health and Safety Policy.
Pickup/meeting details: Volunteers who are accepted will receive an information pack before starting about where to meet on the first day of duty.
Travel: Campsite hosts need to find their own way to and from the campsite. Access to Cob cottage at Molesworth is via a steep and windy gravel road along the Awatere. Vehicles towing trailers, caravans, buses or vehicles over 7 metres long are not permitted.
Safety procedures: Approved volunteers must comply with the DOC Health and Safety Policy, and arrive prepared with appropriate amounts of food and warm/waterproof clothing.
How to apply
You need to fill in an online application form for the campsite you prefer, and send a letter or reference to email@example.com.
We reserve the right to conduct a police check as part of this process.
Online application forms are found on the information page for each campsite (see links above).
For more information contact the Renwick Office on