The guide below contains information about the key principles and ideas around ecosourcing. Although designed for Nelson City the principles are applicable to anywhere.
There are nurseries in the Nelson region which focus on eco-sourcing for restoration projects. Three nurseries - Mainly Natives Plant Nursery Ltd, Titoki Nursery Ltd and Nelmac Ltd - hold concessions to collect seed from reserves and conservation land for the purposes of supplying eco-sourced plant material.
The Department of Conservation (DOC) undertakes and supports a wide range of ecological restoration work in the region.
The Rotoiti Nature Recovery Project is one of DOC's ‘mainland island’ initiatives.
DOC has developed native plant lists in association with local authorities over the majority of Nelson Marlborough.
These lists are designed to assist landowners, community groups and organisations who have an interest in native restoration and revegetation work.
They are important not only to inform people what the correct species is to plant at a given location, but they provide other information as well, eg. what environmental conditions a species prefers, what species provide food for birds and so on.
- Boulder banks and islets (PDF, 397K)
- Coastal flats and alluvial terraces (PDF, 363K)
- Coastal hill country (PDF, 330K)
- Dunes (PDF, 353K)
- Estuaries (PDF, 200K)
- Freshwater wetlands and waterways (PDF, 430K)
- Lowland flats and alluvial terraces (PDF, 459K)
- Lowland hill country (PDF, 359K)
Marlborough District is split into North Marlborough (which consists largely of the Marlborough Sounds and Pelorus/Rai Catchments) and South Marlborough (largely Wairau and Awatere Catchments).
- Blenheim shrubland/forest (PDF, 96K)
- Brackish estuary/wetland (PDF, 67K)
- Cape Campbell shrubland/forest (PDF, 83K)
- Coastal environments (excluding wetlands) (PDF, 81K)
- Flaxbourne Ecological District shrubland/forest (PDF, 92K)
- Freshwater wetlands (PDF, 74K)
- Grassmere shrubland/forest (PDF, 89K)
- Hillersden Ecological District shrubland/forest (PDF, 95K)
- Medway Ecological District shrubland/forest (PDF, 91K)
- Northbank forests (PDF, 93K)
- Waihopai Ecological District shrubland/forest (PDF, 93K)
- Wither Hills Ecological District shrubland/forest (PDF, 88K)
Planting lists for North Marlborough
- Inland North Marlborough (PDF, 79K)
- Inner Sounds (PDF, 81K)
- Outer Sounds (PDF, 81K)
- Coastal sites (PDF, 80K)
- Wetland sites (PDF, 77K)
There are planting lists available for the majority of private land in Tasman District. They are split into zones for Golden Bay and Tasman Bay.
- Tthe planting list for one of the Tasman Bay zones - 'Motueka granite hill country' - has yet to be completed.
- The Buller Catchment does not appear on the maps but there are two planting lists which are available - 'Rotoiti-Upper Buller flats' and 'Murchison plains and terraces'.
- Abel Tasman granite coast (PDF, 316K)
- Aorere and Puramahoi low plains (PDF, 223K)
- Collingwood-Onekaka terraces and hills (PDF, 260K)
- Eastern Golden Bay limestone (PDF, 216K)
- Eastern Takaka hills and high terraces (PDF, 196K)
- Golden Bay estuaries (PDF, 140K)
- Golden Bay sandy coast (PDF, 218K)
- Hamama-Kotinga high terraces (PDF, 213K)
- Motupipi-Takaka terraces and plains (PDF, 219K)
- Takaka low plains (PDF, 245K)
- West Takaka hill country (PDF, 194K)
- West Takaka valleys, terraces and downs (PDF, 253K)
- Abel Tasman granite coast (PDF, 316K)
- Inland Motueka valleys (PDF, 203K)
- Inland Moutere hills (PDF, 131K)
- Inland Moutere valleys (PDF, 132K)
- Lower Moutere stony plains (PDF, 183K)
- Motueka-Riwaka plains and valleys (PDF, 220K)
- Moutere downlands-hill country (PDF, 129K)
- Moutere downlands-valleys (PDF, 128K)
- Murchison plains and terraces (PDF, 183K)
- Richmond-Hope stony plains (PDF, 178K)
- Rotoiti-Upper Buller flats (PDF, 189K)
- Tasman estuaries and river mouths (PDF, 139K)
- Tasman-Sandy coast (PDF, 216K)
- Waimea Inlet coastal flats (PDF, 225K)
- Waimea Plains (PDF, 219K)
There are no comprehensive planting lists for Kaikoura District. Contact the local DOC office.
|Whakatū / Nelson Office|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9335|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Monro State Building
186 Bridge Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.