Application for a licence by NIWA
IntroductionHave your say on a concession application by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Limited (NIWA) for a licence within the Cromwell Weather Station Reserve. Submissions closed 30 September 2022.
This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation has received an application for a concession (licence) for a term of 30 years.
Applicant: National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Limited (NIWA)
Location of proposed activity: Cromwell Weather Station Reserve
Map reference: Approximate GPS NZTM 2000: E1300324, N5006415 (note: Northing as recorded in application revised)
Concession applied for: Licence
Summary of proposal: 30-year term concession (licence) for the continued operation and maintenance of climate monitoring equipment at Cromwell, Central Otago.
Any person or organisation was able to make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal.
Submissions closed 5 pm Friday, 30 September 2022.
Once submitted, submitters’ information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act.
What happens next
After submissions close:
- DOC analyse and consider all submissions and comments on the application.
- A hearing will be held if there have been requests to be heard by the Director-General. If you have expressed an interest in presenting your submission at a hearing, you will be contacted by DOC regarding this.
- DOC analyse and consider information raised at the hearing if a hearing occurred.
- DOC make a recommendation to the Minister of Conservation.
- The Minister of Conservation will make a decision on the application.
If a hearing is required, it is likely to occur on the week starting 10 October 2022.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If you have a question about the application or the submission process you can email DNSubmissions@doc.govt.nz.