Concession application by Gary Sellars and Lane Neave Trustees Ltd
IntroductionHave your say on an application submitted by Gary Sellars and Lane Neave Trustees Ltd for a lease to construct rockfall protection and use a nearby area. Submissions close 2 February 2023.
This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987.
Applicant: Gary Sellars and Lane Neave Trustees Ltd
Location of Proposed Activity: Conservation Area - Kaikoura / 266 Esplanade, Kaikoura
Map Reference: NZTM: 1657232, 5303797
Concess applied for: Lease to construct a rockfall protection structure and use of concrete area in connection with the adjoining visitor accommodation.
Summary of Proposal:
- Construction of a gabion basket rockfall protection structure (110 m in length) to protect properties below from rockfall debris.
- Lease of existing concrete area for car parking, vehicle manoeuvring, a driveway, and a garage for storage.
- Applicant Information Form 1a (PDF, 240K)
- Concession Application Form for Private Structures 3b (PDF, 198K)
- Detailed site plan (PDF, 224K)
- Assessment of environmental effects (PDF, 1,320K)
- Engineering report (PDF, 5,586K)
Make a submission
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal.
Submissions closed at 5 pm, 2 February 2023.
1. Prepare your submission
Record what you think in the submission form:
Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, you need to state this in writing when making your submission.
Any person or organisation wishing to be heard in support of his/her submission, must request an opportunity to appear before the Director-General within their submission.
2. Send us your submission
You may make a submission by sending a written or electronic submission to:
Subject line: Gary Sellars and Lane Neave Trustees Ltd Lease Application
Department of Conservation
Private Bag 4715
Christchurch Mail Centre
Attention: Harriet Kemp, Permissions Advisor
What happens next
After submissions close:
- DOC will analyse and consider all submissions.
- A hearing will be held if there have been requests to be heard by the Director-General If you have expressed an interest in presenting your submission at a hearing, you'll be contacted by DOC regarding this.
- DOC will analyse and consider information raised at the hearing if a hearing occurred.
- DOC will make a recommendation to the Minister of Conservation.
- The Minister of Conservation will make a decision on the application.
If a hearing is required, if it likely to be during week starting 6 February 2023.
No details at this point.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If you have a question about the application or the submission process, you can contact Harriet Kemp, Permissions Advisor.