This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation has received a concession application for a period of 40 years.
Location of proposed activity
Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve
Approximate GPS NZTM: E1270492 N5002604 to E1271564 N5002813.
Summary of proposal
Establish a replacement passenger lift system within the Sugar Basin locality at the Remarkables ski area at Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve, Queenstown.
The proposal involves earthworks and indigenous vegetation clearance to build new ski trails, installation of a bottom station/base terminal and utility hut, installation of a top station/top terminal and service hut, towers, lift cables, ski lift chairs, utility services, snow making infrastructure, and removal of the decommissioned Sugar Bowl Chairlift (including rehabilitation of the ground area of the drive stations and tower foundations).
Together these elements are referred to as the Proposal.
Note: As the installation of the bottom station/base terminal and utility hut will be constructed within an authorised lease area, this part of the proposal will be considered for consent in accordance with provisions contained within this lease. It has been included in this notification to give context to the entire proposal.
Concession applied for
Lease and licence and easement:
- lease - top station/top terminal and service hut
- licence - new ski trails
- easement - towers, lift cables, ski lift chairs, utility services, snow making infrastructure.
How to submit
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal. The submission must be made on a submission form. Download a copy or get one from your local DOC office.
You may make a submission by sending a written or electronic submission to:
Department of Conservation
PO Box 5244
Attention: Kelvin Brown, Permissions Advisor
Submissions close on Wednesday, 5 December 2018. Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, you need to state this in writing when making your submission.
Any person or organisation wishing to be heard in support of their submission, must request (within that submission) an opportunity to appear before the Director-General.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If a hearing is required, it is likely to occur on 13 or 14 December 2018.
Concession application 69588-SKI (PDF, 80,918). This is a very large file.
Note: Document updated to include Landscape assessment report on 21 November 2018.
You can download the application in smaller files:
- part 1 (PDF, 4,745K)
- part 2 (PDF, 31,404K)
- part 3 (PDF, 38,352K)
- part 4 (PDF, 3,104K)
- landscape assessment report (PDF, 14,000K) Note: Report added to this web page on 21 November 2018.
Additional documents (ZIP, 70,828) This is a very large file. List of documents:
- Applicant amending easement application to a lease and licence and easement
- Further information requested: Letter from DOC requesting further information
- Response to Question 2
- Response to Questions 3-5
-  Overall Site Plan with Snowmaking (response to Question 1)
-  Site Sediment Control Plan
-  Medical Facility Relocation Plan
-  Chairlift Construction Method Statement
-  Gabion Wall Drawings
-  Optional Revised Appendix [D] – Proposed CFMA Earthworks Plan
-  Wildlands Report – Remarkables Wetland
-  Existing Sugar Chair
Application approved: 6 March 2019.
For decision details refer to:
- Redacted version of approved decision support document (PDF, 21000K)
- Hearing report (PDF, 3,414K)
- DOC ecological assessment (PDF, 137K)
- Landscape architect report commissioned by decision maker (PDF, 121K)
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.