Decision on application
Update 10 February 2020
The application from John B Cowan is to graze 736 hectares of public conservation land along the Haast River, located between the Roaring Billy and the confluence of the Landsborough River.
The Decision maker’s assessment has been informed by a number of technical reports which are referred to as the 'Decision support document'.
- Appendix one – Site plan (PDF, 1,268K)
- Appendix two – Land status (JPEG, 1,765K)
- Appendix three – Hearing report and summary of submissions - see below
- Appendix four – Ecology assessment (PDF, 3,362K)
- Appendix five – Management planner advice (PDF, 306K)
- Appendix six – Freshwater advice (PDF, 1,215K)
- Appendix seven – Recreation assessment (PDF, 284K)
- Appendix eight – District monitoring (PDF, 370K)
- Appendix nine – Standard grazing concession conditions (PDF, 278K)
- Appendix ten – Applicant comment on summary document – Part 1 (PDF, 68K) and Part 2 (PDF, 31K)
Public submissions and hearing
A public hearing was held in Hokitika on 26 June 2018 to hear submitters who wished to speak to their submission. The Hearing was chaired by Barry Hanson, Director Partnerships. The Hearing report and summary of submissions is available below.
37 submissions were received on the application, which was open for submissions between 3 and 31 May 2018.
- Application form 2a (PDF, 1,095K)
- Site plan (PDF, 1,272K)
- Further information response: parts 1 and 2 (PDF, 208K)
- Monitoring report (PDF, 24K)
- Clarification of area of application (PDF, 138)
About the application
This application was notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation received an application for a grazing licence concession of 15 years from John B Cowan.
The application was notified for public comment on 3 May 2018. Submissions closed 31 May 2018.
Applicant: John B Cowan
Location of proposed activity: 736 hectares within the Cook River to Haast River Conservation Area. Haast River Valley, between the Roaring Billy and the confluence of the Landsborough River.
Map reference: NZ Topo50 Map BY13 Lake Paringa. Between approximate map references NZTM: 1302534.5128556 – 1314732.5125410.
Summary of proposal: John Cowan has applied to continue to graze 736 Hectares within the Haast River Valley. The area would be stocked by 60 breeding cows for a maximum of a year and 50 calves for a maximum of six months.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.