There are many organisations that provide funding to individuals and community groups for conservation and environmental projects. Some are listed below in the following categories:
- Conservation and environment
- Planting and weeds
- Schools and young people
- Science and research
- Recreation, tourism and heritage
- Other community grants
- Regional grants
Generosity New Zealand has online search tools that can connect people to funding opportunities. Their tool, GivUS, offers access to more than 1,200 grants and schemes for communities, volunteer organisations, school groups, sports clubs and iwi. You will need to register for this website. But you can access it for free at your local library computer or through the library website.
- Conservation fund - Auckland Zoo
Zoo staff established this fund to support conservation efforts in the wild, in New Zealand and overseas.
- Predator Free communities fund - Kiwibank and Predator Free NZ Trust
Supports the purchase of subsidised trapping equipment for communities involved in backyard trapping.
- Kiwis for kiwi - Kiwi Trust
Funding for community-based kiwi conservation groups, universities and recognised research facilities.
- Community Environment Fund - Ministry for the Environment
Provides funding so New Zealanders are empowered to take environmental action.
- Community funds - World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) New Zealand
Supports communities and schools to take conservation action.
- 9Wire - World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) New Zealand
From funding to research assistance, facilitating connections, marketing expertise, or introductions to angel investors: 9Wire puts great innovations in front of the people and organisations who can help.
- Lottery Environment and Heritage Grant - Lottery Grants Board
Funds are available for projects that will help protect, conserve or care for our natural, cultural and physical heritage, or allow us to better understand and access these resources.
- New Zealand Game Bird Habitat Trust - Fish and Game New Zealand
Funds the development and enhancement of habitats for the benefit of game birds and other wetland inhabitants.
- Sustainable Food and Fibre Futures - Ministry for Primary Industries
Funds innovative projects that will create more value from the food and fibre industries.
- Pacific Development and Conservation Trust
Each year, the Trust gives its income as grants for charitable activities and projects that fit with at least one of the Trust's objectives for the Pacific.
- The Tindall Foundation
Recognising the strength of families and communities and supporting them and our natural environment to thrive - now and in the future.
- NEXT Foundation
NEXT administers an up to 10-year, $100 million programme for strategic philanthropy.
- Freshwater Improvement Fund - Ministry for the Environment
Funding to improve the management of lakes, rivers, streams, groundwater and wetlands. For projects with a total value of more than $400,000 that help communities manage freshwater within environmental limits.
- Million Metres Streams Project - Sustainable Business Network
For groups committed to improving the water quality and biodiversity of their local waterway. For projects undertaking riparian planting and restoration.
- IPENZ Rivers Group Public Project Grant - IPENZ
Offers up to $3,000 to support public sector groups in works related to river management and restoration.
- Hill Country Erosion Fund - Ministry for Primary Industries
Funding to help protect erosion-prone hill country. It provides leadership and targeted support to regional councils and unitary authorities.
- One Billion Trees Fund - Te Uru Rākau
Supports individuals and groups to plant trees or manage land sustainably. Te Uru Rākau works in partnership with landowners and organisations who want to achieve the goal of planting one billion trees by 2028.
- Trees That Count
Groups who are registered with Trees That Count can apply for native trees from the Community Marketplace.
- Small Scale Initiatives Funding - Weedbusters
Provides funds for Weedbusters groups to cover 'small scale' costs such as tools, herbicides, mulcher hire, greenwaste disposal and for promotional activities within communities to start new Weedbusters groups.
- Environmental Education Action Fund - World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) New Zealand
Provides support for schools and communities who, as part of their learning, are taking hands-on action to address an environmental issue.
- Growing for Good programme - Countdown
Primary and intermediate schools (Years 1- 8) throughout New Zealand can apply for funding for environmental projects.
- Youth Fund - Ministry of Youth Development
Supports youth-led projects that help young people contribute positively to their community through leadership, mentoring or volunteering opportunities.
- Environment Fund - O-I New Zealand Environment Fund
Funding to encourage schools to implement sustainability projects.
- Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Research Programme - Ministry for Primary Industries
Funding to help the agriculture and forestry sectors with challenges arising from climate change. Invests in targeted basic, applied and policy research.
- Investment Funds - Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment
Multiple funds are available to support programmes which build high-performing science and innovation systems.
- Royal Society
Multiple funds are available to support science and research work.
- Cultural and Heritage Funding - Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Provides funds for culture and history, including oral and built heritage.
- National Heritage Preservation Incentive Fund - Heritage New Zealand
Provides financial incentives to encourage the conservation of privately owned heritage places recognised on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero.
- Backcountry Trust fund - Backcountry Heritage
Funding for the maintenance of existing huts and tracks that would not otherwise be undertaken by DOC.
- Enhancement Access Fund - NZ Walking Access Commission
Supports projects aimed at enhancing access to New Zealand's great outdoors.
- Tourism Infrastructure Fund - Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Provides up to $25 million annually to develop tourism-related infrastructure that supports regions facing pressure from tourism growth.
- New Zealand Cycle Trail Enhancement and Extension Fund - Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Supports projects by eligible organisations that improve and extend Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trail.
- Grassroots Fund - Fonterra
Supports group projects that will help bring local communities together and make it better, safer and more vibrant places to live.
- The Lion Foundation
Grants are given to a diverse range of charitable causes in the areas of health, education, sports and community (such as arts, culture, heritage and environment).
- Lottery Significant Projects Fund - Lottery Grants Board
Provides grants to purchase, create or improve community assets that have regional or national significance. It provides grants for these capital expenditure projects with a total cost of $3 million or more.
- Community Organisation Grants Scheme (COGS) - Department of Internal Affairs
Provides grants to non-profit organisations delivering community-based social services that contribute to achieving locally determined outcomes.
- Community Internship Programme - Department of Internal Affairs
Funds hapū, iwi or community groups to employ skilled professionals to work as an intern with the community group for three to six months.
- Support for Volunteering Fund - Department of Internal Affairs
Grants for community projects that support and promote volunteering in New Zealand. It also provides grants for the activities of regional volunteer centres and Volunteering New Zealand.
Many local and regional councils have environmental funds available for landowners and/or community groups. Contact your local council for further information.
As well as local government funding, there are community trusts that support regional projects:
- Auckland and Northland: Foundation North
- Waikato: Trust Waikato
- Taranaki: TSB Trust
- Whanganui: Whanganui Community Foundation
- Bay of Plenty: Bay Trust
- Eastern and Central: Eastern and Central Community Trust
- Wellington: Wellington Community Trust
- Nelson, Marlborough, Canterbury and Chatham Islands: Rātā Foundation
- Buller, Grey, and Westland: West Coast Community Trust
- Mid and South Canterbury: Community Trust Mid and South Canterbury
- Otago: Otago Community Trust
- Southland: Community Trust South