Introduction and example unit (PDF, 3,470K)
Find out how this resource is structured and how you could incorporate it into your school curriculum.
Importance of estuaries (PDF, 2,350K)
Identify why estuaries are important for people, animals, plants and the wider environment.
Life in an estuary (PDF, 7,210K)
What’s life like in an estuary for animals, plants and other living things?
Experimenting with water (PDF, 4,130K)
Investigate how water moves in an estuary and how salt water and fresh water mix.
Estuaries for everyone (PDF, 4,250K)
How do people view and use estuaries in your community?
To provide students, teachers and their communities with opportunities to grow their knowledge, skills and understandings about estuaries, so that they can help resolve environmental challenges for in their local coastal areas and beyond.
The exact pathways of learning and associated outcomes are up to students and teachers. Activities and suggestions in the resource enable the following learning opportunities:
Connecting to estuaries (Te Taha Wairua)
- form significant personal connections to their local estuaries
- have awareness and sensitivity about local species and environments and start to care for them.
Knowledge, skills and understandings (Te Taha Hinengaro, Te Taha Tinana)
- grow their understandings of estuaries in New Zealand
- recognise the role of tangata whenua in estuary management and use
- learn skills to help address issues for estuaries.
Taking collective action and working with community (Te Taha Whānau)
- act alongside the wider community to contribute to healthy estuaries and marine environments
- participate in active sharing with the community to celebrate success and action.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.
Related resources for protecting our estuaries:
- Slideshow: Introducing estuaries
- Slideshow: the importance of estuaries
- Video: the importance of estuaries (slideshow narrated by Long Bay Primary students)
- Video: Freshwater and saltwater mixing experiment
- Seagrass/karepō padlet page
- Eels/tuna padlet page
- Cockles/tuangi padlet page
- Oystercatcher/tōrea padlet page
Other resources and programmes referenced in this education resource: