At Waiuta students can take a trip back in time. The ghost town includes remnants of Blackwater Mine, a police station and a rugby field. Combined with the environmental issues and recreation options in the area, Waiuta provides options for interesting and exciting outdoor education experiences and learning.
This educational resource contains background information on the natural and human history of the area, curriculum objectives and suggestions for class and site-based activities.Getting there information is included and other things to take into consideration to help you plan your class trip.
- Whose rohe, what's in a name and special features to look out for
- Be prepared: risk assessment
- Attractions and facilities, things to see and do, accommodation
- Resource material
- How to get there
- Educational activities
- Teachers' background information
- Pre-visit, visit, and post-visit activities