White Pine Bush Scenic Reserve, established in 1923, was one of Hawke’s Bay’s first scenic reserves. This 19 hectare patch of native bush is a remnant of the past when great forests covered the landscape. Land clearing and farm development have devastated Hawke’s Bay’s forests. Valuable remnants like this reserve are all that remain.
Within this forest, giant kahikatea (white pines), some as old as 500 years have given the reserve its name.
This teaching resource can be used for pre/post and field day activities at White Pine Bush. It examines the plants and animals in the forest, and the history of the reserve.