View the resource
- Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway cover (PDF, 459K)
- Page 2-13 (PDF, 951K)
- Page 14-22 (PDF, 627K)
- Page 23-33 (PDF, 427K)
- Page 34 (PDF, 199K)
- Page 35 (PDF, 374K)
- Page 36 (PDF, 203K)
- Page 37 (PDF, 213K)
- Page 38 (PDF, 252K)
- Page 39 (PDF, 413K)
- Page 40 (PDF, 438K)
- Page 41 (PDF, 407K)
- Page 42-43 (PDF, 135K)
About Karangahake Gorge
Karangahake Gorge Historical Walkway follows part of the old railway line that was closed in 1979, allowing the public access to historical sites associated with gold mining from the 1870s through to the 1950s.
The region combines gold mining history and natural beauty, much of it accessible through a variety of walks.
Get a guided experience
Action Stations offer interactive learning modules for school groups, including their Karangahake Gorge Tunnel Walk and Goldmine Experience. Phone +64 7 574 9622 or visit their website.
About the resource
This kit provides site location maps, pre- and post-visit activities for your outdoor education experience and includes safety considerations and background reading for teachers. Curriculum links are provided and a series of teacher’s study sheets covering a range of topics pertinent to the area.
Designed for level 3-4 but adaptable to wide range of ages (many activities are suggested).
- Locations of teacher resource kits
- Location of Karangahake Gorge
- Using this resource
- Organisation of outdoor safety
- Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway facilities
- Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway background
- Management of Karangahake Historic Walkway
- Statement about curriculum Llnks
- 8 teacher study sheets
- Other references and resources
- Social sciences
- Health and PE
- Education for sustainability
- Students will understand how people pass on and sustain culture and heritage for different reason (old learning outcome)
- Students will understand how people view and use places differently
- Students will understand how people remember and record the past…
- Students will compare (debate) why the historic features at Karangahake Gorge should be protected and saved.
Links to curriculum
- Social sciences: Place and environment
- Science: Living World: Ecology
- Health and PE: Personal health and physical development: Safety management
- Historic places
|Phone:||+64 7 349 7400|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
99 Sala Street
PO Box 1146
|Full office details|
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.