Download the resource
The Tiritiri Matangi Island field trip kit includes:
- A 242-page publication (hardcopy or CD) that covers planning a visit, history of the island, the restoration project, species information and curriculum links, plus a separate 32-page student activities book
- A DVD of island footage, bird information and an interactive bird call game
Part one: introduction
Part two: birds
Part three: plants
Part four: reptiles, insects and freshwater fish
Part five: the New Zealand curriculum and teaching resources
23. (As above)
Full page illustrations and quiz (by Chris Gaskin)
Tiritiri Matangi Island footage and bird
Prices and ordering
Tiritiri Matangi Island education resource
Complete resource (hardcopy plus DVD/CD) $35
Hardcopy only $25
DVD/CD only $15
Plus $6 postage and packaging
(note - all prices include GST)
Shop manager ph +64 9 476 0010.
About the kit
Tiritiri Matangi Education Resource
Activities are 'in, about and for the environment'. It is aimed at primary and intermediate levels.
Student activities have been designed to direct thinking while on the island, and to challenge thinking and consolidate learning before and after the visit.
The kit also includes lists of books and websites suitable for children and adults to further their knowledge of the fascinating life to be found in the world around us.
Note, the plant, insect, bird and reptile notes in the kit are not intended as a complete handbook but will provide teachers and their students with basic scientific knowledge about the amazing natural world of Tiritiri Matangi Scientific Reserve.
- Students will observe and identify rare and endangered birds and wildlife in an authentic natural setting.
- Students will observe and identify rare and endangered plants within both regenerating and coastal forest.
- Students will experience the cultural heritage of Tiritiri Matangi Island.
- Students will gain an increased awareness of ‘conservation in action’.
- Students will understand the role people have in protecting our environment and that we all have a part to play in it.
- Students will develop an awareness of how the conservation efforts on Tiritiri Matangi Island can be translated to other restoration projects.
- Students will understand interdependence of species, habitats and their link to
- Students will evaluate the impact of humans on an environment.
- Social science
- Health and PE
- The arts
Links to curriculum
- Science: Living world: Ecology
- English: Listening; Reading; Writing; Viewing; Presenting
- Health and PE: Personal health and physical development
- Mathematics: Statistics and problem solving
- Social sciences: Identify culture and organisation, Place and environment
- Offshore islands
Text and teaching ideas: Sue Reid and Jan Ellis
Cover illustrations: Chris Gaskin
Text illustrations: Chris Gaskin (linocuts), Keith Woodley (plants, birds and insects) and Ali Teo (cartoons).
The text and illustrations in the Tiritiri Matangi Education Kit are covered by copyright. The kit is designed for bulk photocopying for use only in conjunction with a school teaching programme.
|Mahurangi / Warkworth Office|
|Phone:||+64 9 425 7812|
30 Hudson Road
PO Box 474
|Full office details|
If you have any questions or recommendations let us know.
Share your stories to help encourage others
Share your stories about learning and teaching in nature. This will help show others what you've done and also help encourage them.