Download the resource
Enhancing biodiversity in your green space (PDF, 4,467K)
Using this resource, students can:
- Come to conclusions about which plants and animals are living in their green space
- Gain an appreciation for how plants and animals interact with each other in an ecosystem
- Plan to enhance native biodiversity in their green space
Animal connections information sheets
These activity sheets can be edited:
Level 1-4 Science
Living World: Life Processes
- L1 & 2: Recognise that all living things have certain requirements so they can stay alive.
- L3 & 4: Recognise that there are life processes common to all living things and that these occur in different ways.
Living world: Ecology
- L3 & 4: Explain how living things are suited to their particular habitat and how they respond to environmental changes, both natural and human induced
Planet Earth and Beyond: Earth systems
- L1 & 2: Explore and describe natural features and resources.
Nature of Science
- Understanding about science
- Investigating in science
- Communicating in science
- Participating and contributing
- Gather and interpret data
- Use evidence
- Critique evidence
- Interpret representations
- Engage with science
Level 2-3 Health
Healthy Communities and environments: Community resources
- L2: Identify and use local community resources and explain how these contribute to a healthy community
Healthy communities and environments: People and the environment
- L3: Plan and implement a programme to enhance an identified aspect of their (classroom or) environment
Minor curriculum links
- English: Listening, reading and viewing
- Reconnect with your green space. Reflect on learning during your inquiry throughout the previous resources.
- Come to conclusions about the biodiversity in your green space. Develop conclusions about what is living in your green space and its health.
- Learn about the connections in your green space. Learn about the interactions and connections of living things in your green space.
- Extend thinking about green spaces and future focussed thinking. Explore Māori perspectives. Add to big picture knowledge about your green space.
- Form a plan to enhance biodiversity. Choose an endemic/native species to bring back or enhance in your green space.
- Share knowledge and take the next steps. Share findings and take steps to enhance biodiversity in their green space.
Curriculum learning areas
We would love to get your feedback about our resources so they are useful to you and your students.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.