How to apply for authorisation to construct and maintain access related structures and tracks on the Sounds Foreshore Reserve.


Sounds Foreshore Reserve access structures and licence application information

The information on this page is currently being updated. If you need advice in the meantime, contact us at

For more information on when and what you are permitted to construct on the Sounds Foreshore Reserve see Private access structures on Sounds Foreshore Reserve.

Transfer of Sounds Foreshore Reserve licences

When a property adjoining the Sounds Foreshore Reserve changes hands the Sounds Foreshore Reserve Licence must be transferred to the new owner. This can be done by the new owner once they receive the Record of Title.

For more information about transferring a Sounds Foreshore Reserve licence into your name contact the Christchurch office. 

Pre-application meetings

Applying for a Sounds Foreshore Reserve licence or concession can be complex. We strongly advise you to have a pre-application meeting with DOC prior to submitting your application. This is a free service offered by DOC and may assist in saving you time and money. 

Other benefits: 

  • we will advise you if your application is unlikely to be successful
  • if your proposal is possible you will have all the information you need to know to make a successful application
  • talking to us early will save going back and forth during the application process
  • the meeting is free for up to half a day.

A pre-application meeting can be arranged in person or as an online meeting.  At the pre-application meeting we can advise you on what sort of concession or licence you need, supply you with the right application form(s) and show you how to apply.

To arrange a pre-application meeting contact the Christchurch office.

Type of licence or concession

You may need different types of authorisation from DOC. For example, a Sounds Foreshore Reserve Licence for your boatshed, and an easement concession for the power and water running to your boatshed.

Your DOC advisor will advise you what licence and/or concession you will need in your pre-application meeting.

Apply for your licence and/or concession

Sounds Foreshore Reserve Licence

  1. Fill in the application form:

     Application form (PDF, 263K) or
     Application form (DOCX, 83K)

  2.  Email the form along with the relevant documents requested to


  1. Identify which type of concession you require at your pre-application meeting
  2. Follow the process for easement concessions (if other concessions are needed, more information will be provided in your pre-application meeting)
  3. Email the form(s) along with the relevant documents requested to

Note: Contact the Marlborough District Council for any building permit or resource consent requirements.


Sounds Foreshore Reserve Licence

The processing fee for a Sounds Foreshore Reserve Licence is likely to be in the range of $4000-$7000 (plus GST). You will be provided with a fee estimate once your application has been assigned to an advisor.

You will also be required to pay six monthly activity fees for your private use of public land. This fee will be based on the size and location of the encroachment. 

Note: If you require a concession (eg an easement concession), separate processing fees will apply to that application.


You will be required to pay the processing fee(s) relevant to the concession(s) you have applied for (these processing fees are separate to the processing fee on a Sounds Foreshore Reserve licence).

You will also be required to pay ongoing concessions fees if your application is approved. Find out more about the ongoing fees you will be charged on the Ongoing concession fees page.

Contact us

For more information or assistance with your application contact our Christchurch office. 

Permissions Advisor (Support)
Private Bag 4715
Christchurch Mail Centre
Christchurch 8140
Phone: +64 3 371 3700

Back to top