The Department of Conservation's work includes managing a network of huts and tracks, managing historic properties, science and research, pest control, and compliance and law enforcement.
This transparency statement explains how we collect, use, and share information for the purpose of detecting or investigating potential:
- criminal offending, eg illegal harvest, wildlife smuggling, poaching, assault or vandalism
- regulatory non-compliance, eg not meeting the requirements of a permit or certificate
- threats to the physical security of staff; or the security of information, places or operations, eg unauthorised entry, interference with DOC equipment or operations.
We collect, use and share information appropriately, and meet our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993, Search and Surveillance Act 2012, Bill of Rights Act 1990, the Code of conduct for the State Services, the State Services Commission's Model Standards on Information Gathering and Public Trust, and in accordance with relevant DOC policies and procedures.
This statement applies to information gathered by us, our contractors, or any other third parties engaged by us.
Collecting, using and sharing information
We collect information from a variety of sources including:
- directly from people
- other agencies and entities
- publicly available sources, including online sources
We will use the information we hold to:
- decide whether to investigate a complaint or a threat
- investigate non-compliance or prosecute a criminal offence
- undertake protective security and risk assessment activities
- support other state sector agencies' activities
We may share information with New Zealand Police and other government agencies in order to properly carry out our functions or if required by law. For example:
- to assist with the investigation of a criminal offence
- to ensure the health and safety of our staff, partners, contractors and volunteers.
Information is shared lawfully under legislation and information sharing agreements.
Respecting and protecting information
We are committed to respecting information and keeping it safe. We have systems, policies and governance in place to control how we collect, manage and use information.
Questions or concerns
If you have any inquiries about our information gathering, or believe that we have not acted in accordance with this statement, you should contact us at email@example.com.