Where you voluntarily provide personal information (e.g. through email feedback, surveys, submissions or registration forms), we will only use that information for the purpose it was collected and we will not disclose it to any third parties.
We use several social media communities where you may voluntarily submit information and the sites or pages include some rules to protect privacy.
When you subscribe to one of our email newsletters, we collect your name and email address and your details will be added to a mailing list for distributing the e-newsletters.
We monitor the effectiveness of these newsletters using analytical tools offered by Campaign Monitor that collect the following information:
- unique opens – the number and email addresses of subscribers that have opened the email
- email client usage – which email account (Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail) was used to open the email
- regions – where this email has been opened
- bounced – the number of emails that weren't successful due to an inactive address, DNS failure, or if the recipient's mailbox was full
- not opened – the number and email addresses of subscribers that didn't open the email
- shares – the number of times the newsletter has been shared via email, Facebook or Twitter by subscriber
- most popular links – the most clicks on any links directing to other websites or information not contained in the email.
There is no ability to collect information beyond this or to track the recipient outside of a specific e-newsletter. Once the recipient has closed the newsletter, no further information can be collected.
Our online booking system uses an in-memory cookie, which is set to last no longer than 30 minutes. The cookie itself doesn't collect any personal information about you (it is used to hold basic authentication-related information) and the content is encrypted.
Information you provide as part of the booking process is retained on a secure site so we can contact you regarding your booking and maintain and manage your booking.
If you have indicated acceptance in completing surveys or evaluations on your booking, you may be contacted within the next 18 months.
Your information will not be passed onto third parties unless:
- it relates to services booked by you on the Department of Conservation website but supplied by a third party and the third party requires those details
- it is required by Police or Search and Rescue to carry out searches, rescues or in Civil Defence emergencies.
Our website, Cookies and Google Analytics
We use third-party vendor re-marketing tracking cookies which means we will continue to show you ads when you use other websites. Cookies are small files stored on your device that hold information specific to you and the website or online tool you’re using. They allow us to tailor our marketing to only display ads that are relevant to you, based on your past visits to our website or any of our sub-domains.
This site also uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. This provides traffic analysis to help us improve our website.
Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf.
Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
If you have enabled Google to associate your web and app browsing history with your Google account, Google Analytics may use this information for cross-device remarketing to personalise advertisements across your desktop and other devices
When you use this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google, in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns you can contact us by email.