Crosbies Hut was built in 2010 and offers panoramic views of the Coromandel Main Range - north towards Maumaupaki and Mercury Bay and from the Firth of Thames in the west to Table Mountain and the Upper Kauaeranga Valley in the east. The lights of Whitianga are visible at night.
The hut is situated in an old farming settlement established in 1880, with Thomas Hunter Crosbie being the first settler. Access was by foot, horseback or horse-drawn sledge. There are still some fences alongside the track leading up to the hut. The area became part of the Coromandel Forest Park in 1970.
At the hut site there is a memorial for two Swedish tourists who went missing while tramping in the area in 1989.
Crosbies Hut is located on the Memorial Loop Track off the Main Range Track, approximately 12 km north east of Thames.
The hut can be accessed from a number of tracks:
The Waiotahi Track can be extremely muddy in wet weather. Allow 4 to 6 hours for all access tracks to Crosbies Hut.
Topo50 map sheet: BB35
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1831356 N5896874
$15 adult/night, $7.50 child/youth/night (5 - 17 years), preschool free (0 - 4 years).
The Backcountry Hut Pass and other DOC tickets are not valid for use at Crosbies Hut.