- Adopt a precautionary approach towards proposed activities whose effects on the coastal environment are uncertain, unknown, or little understood, but potentially significantly adverse.
- In particular, adopt a precautionary approach to use and management of coastal resources potentially vulnerable to effects from climate change, so that:
- avoidable social and economic loss and harm to communities does not occur;
- natural adjustments for coastal processes, natural defences, ecosystems, habitat and species are allowed to occur; and
- the natural character, public access, amenity and other values of the coastal environment meet the needs of future generations.
Back to top