Kahurangi National Park Management Plan
Published:December 2001 (partially reviewed December 2010 - amended April 2017)
Download the publication
Kahurangi National Park Management Plan (incorporating 2009/2010 partial review and 2016/2017 amendment) (PDF, 6,847K)
The maps throughout the original plan have been listed separately:
- Map 1 - Locality (PDF, 136K)
- Map 2 - Access and Facilities (PDF, 85K)
- Map A - Heaphy Track Corridor Place (PDF, 368K)
- Map B - Specified mountain bike routes (PDF, 850K)
- Map C - Heaphy Track specified mountain bike route (PDF, 373K)
- Map D - Flora Saddle to Barron Flat Track - specified mountain bike route (PDF, 449K)
- Map E - Kill Devil Track - specified mountain bike route (PDF, 474K)
- Map 3 - Land Status (PDF, 85K)
- Map F - Horse access route (PDF, 400K)
- Map G - Aircraft landing zones (PDF, 894K)
- Map 4 - Administration (PDF, 87K)
- Map 5 - Unformed Legal Roads (385K)
Explanation of 2016/2017 amendment
The 2016/2017 amendment to the Kahurangi National Park Management Plan (incorporating 2009/2010 partial review) was carried out in accordance with sections 46-48 of the National Parks Act 1980. The purpose of the amendment was to extend the mountain biking season on the Heaphy Track.
The Department prepared the draft amendment to the management plan in consultation with the Nelson Marlborough Conservation Board, iwi and key stakeholders. The draft amendment, to extend the Heaphy Track mountain biking season from 1 May – 30 September to 1 April – 30 November, was publicly notified on 11 May 2016 for written comments (submissions). 188 submissions were received during the submission period, which closed on 12 July 2016. Hearings for eight submitters were held in Motueka and Westport in August 2016. The hearing panel comprised two representatives from the Department and two members of the Nelson Marlborough Conservation Board (the Board).
Following the hearings and consideration of all submissions, the amendment was revised to remove April, but retain October/November, for the mountain biking season extension. The Board agreed with this revision in December 2016 and recommended it to the New Zealand Conservation Authority (NZCA) for approval. The NZCA considered the recommendation and comments from the Minister of Conservation before approving the plan amendment on 3 April 2017, subject to a few requirements, including reporting back to the NZCA on monitoring.
The amendment is part of this Kahurangi National Park Management Plan.
Visiting Kahurangi National Park
ISSN 1170-9626 (print)
ISSN 1179-4429 (web)
ISBN 978-0-478-14846-6 (print)
ISBN 978-0-478-14847-3 (web)
Management Plan Series No. 18
|Whakatū / Nelson Office|
2 Orion Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|