Four Sisters Walk
10 min one way
The Four Sisters kauri trees
The walk is a short, one-way loop that takes you through kauri and rimu vegetation to see the 'Four Sisters', an impressive stand of four tall and graceful kauri trees growing extremely close together.
A viewing platform encircles the trees and protects the habitat from any disturbance.
View a track location map
It is very important that you keep to the walking track at all times. Kauri trees have very sensitive surface roots, and foot traffic around the tree endangers their life span.
Kauri trees occasionally create unusual growth forms. At times, the trunks of two, three, four, five and even six trees can grow joined together at the base of the trees. You can see similar growth in Trounson Kauri Park to the south.
The Four Sisters Walk is sign posted 'Kauri Walks' from State Highway 12, which runs through the Waipoua Forest.
Security is maintained in this car park by a $2.00 donation during the day to the car park ambassador.
From the car park, there is a track sign for the three walks available for recreational walking, the 'Four Sisters', 'Te Matua Ngahere' and the 'Yakas Kauri'.
The track meanders through native bush bringing you to a central point from which you can access the three tracks. From here, the 'Four Sisters' track is well signposted and located on the right hand side of this open space.
Plan and prepare
Help stop kauri dieback
Kauri dieback disease is killing our native kauri. It spreads by soil movement, but you can help prevent it.
- Stay on the track and off kauri roots.
- Clean your gear before and after visiting kauri forests.
Visit the kauri dieback website for more information on how you can help.
- In strong winds, please beware of falling branches.
- There is no general store, petrol station or supermarket in Waipoua Forest.
- Nearest petrol station is 28 km south at Kaihu, and 20 km north at Waimamaku
- Nearest toilets are located at the Tane Mahuta carpark.
- No domestic pets are allowed on this track.
- Hunting by permit only. You can get a permit free of charge from the Kauri Coast Office.
Track location map