A national wild animal recovery operations (WARO) concession is available for:
- the supply of deer, pig, goat and chamois to Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) approved processors, and
- live capture of the same wild animals (excluding chamois) to be placed on authorised properties.
- have a current supply contract with an approved processor, or a marketing entity that has a contract for processing carcasses with a MPI approved processor, and
- meet the MPI requirements for these activities.
National WARO concessions exclude the carriage of either recreational hunters or fare paying passengers. See aerially assisted trophy hunting (AATH) or aircraft activities for more information.
Applying for a concession for the first time can be a little tricky. To ensure your application goes smoothly contact the staff in our Christchurch office.
WARO access in Ruahine Forest Park
December 2015: A review of WARO access in Ruahine Forest Park took place in July 2015. Read the outcome of the review.
Type of WARO concession
The National WARO concessions on offer cover the recovery and capture of the following wild animals:
North Island: deer, pig, and goat carcass recovery plus live capture of deer, pig and goat.
South Island: deer, pig chamois and goat carcass recovery and live capture of deer.
If you wish to apply for any other type of wild animal recovery operation contact our Christchurch office.
Apply for your concession
Your application fee is $1,540 plus GST for North Island or South Island concessions. Your application should be processed within five working days of receipt.
If your application is approved we will send you a contract which you must sign and return before proceeding with your activity.
Locations for the national WARO concession
- Index map WARO (PDF,803K)
- Map 1 - Area 1, Upper North Island (PDF, 1,474K)
- Map 2 - Area 2, Upper North Island (PDF, 1,960K)
- Map 3 - Area 3, Upper North Island (PDF, 1,770K)
- Map 4 - Area 1, Central North Island (PDF, 1,983K)
- Map 5 - Area 2, Central North Island (PDF, 1,596K)
- Map 6 - Area 1, Lower North Island (PDF, 1,739K)
- Map 7 - Area 1, Upper South Island (PDF, 1,807K)
- Map 8 - Area 2, Upper South Island (PDF, 1,483K)
- Map 9 - Area 2, Lower North Island (PDF, 872K)
- Map 10 - Area 3, Upper South Island (PDF, 1,323K)
- Map 11 - Area 1 Central South Island (PDF, 1,196K)
- Map 12 - Area 2, Central South Island (PDF, 1,710K)
- Map 13 - Area 3, Central South Island (PDF, 1,196K)
- Map 14 - Area 1, Lower South Island (PDF, 928K)
- Map 15 - Area 2, Lower South Island (PDF, 2,328K)
- Map 16 - Area 3, Lower South Island (PDF, 1,611K)
- Map 17 - Area 4, Lower South Island (PDF, 1,607K)
- Map 18 - Area 5, Lower South Island and Stewart Island (PDF, 812K)
The following document may help you when considering your application for a WARO concession.
For more information about the national or other WARO permit, or assistance with your WARO concession, contact our Christchurch office.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.