Otaki Forks campsite
The School House Flat camping area has closed for winter. Please the the Black Gate camp site
Water from tap
Water from stream
Otaki Forks Schoolhouse Flat
- Adult (18+ years): $6 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $3 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Otaki Forks camping area
School House Flat camp site
- 150 camp sites
- Open October long weekend till Easter
Open river terraces and regenerating bush surround the campsite reflecting the farming, mining and sawmilling history of the area. There are short walks to pioneering era relics. Some harder tramping tracks start here. The river offers swimming, white water kayaking and trout fishing.
Schools or large groups can make arrangements to use Schoolhouse flat out of season by calling the Wellington Visitors Centre on 04 384 7770
Black Gate camp site
Located 500 meters before Schoolhouse flat.
Otaki Gorge Rd, 14 km east of Otaki.
1 km S of Otaki, turn into Otaki Gorge Rd. Campsite 19 km east of Otaki township.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1787182-N5471884
Latitude: -40.88273913, Longitude: 175.22165329
- Narrow gravel access with one stream ford
- Year round fire ban
- Dogs permitted. Must be on a leash at all times.
- Bring gas BBQ or cooker
- Campground warden on site all year