Puriri Bay (Whangaruru North Head) campsite
Water from tap
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $5 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Please note: Site 19, 20, 21, and 22 are not available for booking until further notice.
Bookings are required during peak season.
The numbering of individual sites and the availability of some sites will vary from time to time without notice.
To clarify bookings, please note the procedure for the peak season:
- From 8:30 am on the first Monday in September, bookings will only be taken by telephone +64 9 433 6160 or +64 9 470 3304.
- To provide a fair and equal opportunity for all potential campers only one site may be booked per telephone call.
- No bookings will be accepted over the office counter.
- From the following Wednesday, you will also be able to make a booking by email at email@example.com.
- Self-registration during off-peak period
Other booking information
- Backcountry hut pass does not apply
- Campervan access/eligible for NZMCA pass (except during peak period)
Puriri Bay, Whangaruru North is located about 30 km south-east of Russell
Turn off SH1, 22 km north of Whangarei into Russell Rd. After about 30 km (north of Ngaiotonga) turn into Whangaruru North Rd.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1723562-6085659
- Camp office hours are 7:30 am – 8:00 pm
- Camp gates and barrier arms are locked from 9:00 pm – 7:30 am
- Recycling facilities available
- Camp hosts on site from Labour Weekend to the first Saturday after Easter
- View the camp rules
- Last 2 km single lane
- Weather conditions will limit access to the grassed areas over winter
- Foot access only from the car park 10 June – 30 November
Campers staying in the camp are required to purchase a $2.00 rubbish bag to assist with the costs associated with the disposal of rubbish and recyclable items.
Plan and prepare
Help stop kauri dieback
Kauri dieback disease is killing our native kauri. It spreads by soil movement, but you can help prevent it.
- Stay on the track and off kauri roots.
- Clean your gear before and after visiting kauri forests.
Visit the kauri dieback website for more information on how you can help.