Lake Tarawera Outlet campsite
Water from tap
- Adult (18+ years): $6 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $3 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
- Number of tent sites - 30
Camp lake side in a large and attractive campsite. A bridge links the campsite to several tracks. Trout fishing and water sports on the lake are popular in the summer time. Fly fishing season is 1 October - 31 May.
Eastern shore of Lake Tarawera
Access to Tarawera Outlet is from Kawerau township (off SH 30 between Rotorua and Whakatane) via private forestry roads which require permits. The forest gate is closed during the hours of darkness. The forest road may be closed in summer when fire risk is high.
Permits cost $5 and must be collected on the day of entering the forest roads from:
Kawerau Information Centre
Plunket St, Kawerau
+64 7 323 6300
Open daily 9am - 4pm (8am - 6pm from December 15 to January 29)
Also available Kawarau online website.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1906584-N5767896
Latitude: -38.18501393, Longitude: 176.50314606
- Dogs permitted. Must be on a leash at all times.
- A $5 permit is required for vehicle access via Kawerau. See 'Getting there' below for details.
- Or you can access the campsite by boat.
- There are a number of concessionaires that run either boat or helicopter transport around the Rotorua Lakes area, creating a variety of options for connecting trails or getting to/from campsites. View guides and tourism providers for Lake Tarawera.
- Other campsite facilities include:
- Boat ramp
- Shelter for cooking