Fees and payment
Tieke Kainga Hut
- Adult (18 years and over): $32 per night
- Child (under 17 years): free but booking still required
- Adult (18 years and over): $15 per night
- Child (under 17 years): free
Seaons: The Whanganui Journey Great Walk peak season operates from 1 October to 30 April. During this season you need to book your bunk bed using the online booking system.
During off-peak season backcountry hut pass or hut tickets are required.
Book Tieke Kainga Hut online or contact,
Read the terms and conditions before you book.
During the Whanganui Journey Great Walk season, 1 October and 30 April, this hut operates as a Great Walk Hut. Out of the Great Walk season this hut reverts to a Serviced Hut (no cooking facilities and limited heating fuel).
General tikanga (protocol)
- Visitors may be expected to participate in a powhiri if whanau are present at the marae in which case the process will be explained.
- It is customary to leave a koha (donation) during powhiri.
- The marae atea (grassy area in front of Marae) must be kept clear when visitors are going through the powhiri.
- The whare nui (meeting house on the marae atea) is for local people only; access into the whare nui is by invitation only.
- All rubbish must be carried out.
- Absolutely NO ALCOHOL permitted at Tieke.
- Smoking is permitted outside only, please keep the buildings smoke free.
- Shoes are not to be worn in the buildings, they should be left neatly on the deck.
- Clothes and washing should be hung on the designated clothes lines near the campground not on the decks or marae area. Please ask the local people if in doubt.
- Do not sit on tables, benches or chilly bins. Do not sit on any surface that would come in contact with food.
- Kitchen facilities are not to be used for personal hygiene tasks, i.e. brushing teeth etc. Please use the washbasins outside for those purposes.
- Please do not put tents up in the marae atea, use the designated campsites.
- It is courteous to ask for permission from the local people before taking photos at Tieke.
If in doubt feel free to approach your local hosts.
Grid reference: Topo50 map sheet BJ32, E1771782, N5643882
Park or reserve
Plan and prepare