Great Walk Bookings
- Bookings are reqired for each adult, youth and infant for the use of all huts and campsites.
- Fees are charged per person per night.
- Penalty fees of up to the following will apply if huts or campsites are not booked. Adults: (18 years plus) - Twice standard adult fee. Youth: (5 to 17 years) - Standard youth rate plus standard adult fee. Infant: (birth to 4 years) - Standard infant rate plus standard adult fee.
- Limited discounts are available for members of approved ‘Recreation Associate’ organisations.
- Hut and campsite facilities and services are heavily subsidised. Fees for their use make a small but valuable contribution towards their maintenance.
- Required all year for Lake Waikaremoana, Abel Tasman, Heaphy and Rakiura track huts and campsites.
- Required in peak season only for Whanganui Journey, Tongariro Northern Circuit, Milford track huts, Routeburn and Kepler track huts and campsites.
- Some Great Walks or sections of them are not suitable for children aged 10 years and under.
For detailed information about fees and bookings for each of the Great Walks please check the specific track information:
Peak season is from 1 October to 30 April (summer) but these dates may vary in some places, or be delayed by snow or avalanche conditions. Off-peak season is from 1 May to 30 September (winter).