Otaki Forks camping area
School House Flat campsite
This is the main camping area, open all year round, 150 sites.
Schools or large groups can make arrangements to use Schoolhouse flat out of season by calling DOC's Wellington Visitor Centre on +64 4 384 7770
Black Gate campsite
Smaller camping area, 20 sites, open through peak periods and fine weather.
Located 500 m before Schoolhouse Flat.
Otaki Forks Schoolhouse Flat
1 km south of Otaki, turn into Otaki Gorge Rd. Campsite is 19 km east of Otaki township. Narrow gravel access with one stream ford.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1787182, N5471884
Latitude: -40.88273913, Longitude: 175.22165329
- Adult (18+ years): $6 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $3 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Pay at the self-registration stand at the campsite.
Know before you go
- Fires not permitted at any time
- Bring your own gas BBQ or cooker
- Campground warden on site all year