Camping on Matiu/Somes
Matiu/Somes Island Campsite is a small, low key site suitable for small groups and individuals. It is located in a sheep paddock surrounded by historical buildings. The historic ova transplant building from the maximum security quarantine station provides the campsite facilities.
A maximum of 12 campers in total are permitted to camp.
- Camp kitchen: Gas oven/ four burner hob, small dinning area but no fridge.
- Outside facilities: Picnic tables, compost bin. The island BBQ is also available for use.
- Power on the island is supplied by renewable resources - wind turbine and solar panels.
- There are no phones and no shops.
Ferry from Wellington or Days Bay, and Seatoun or Petone on most weekends by East by West Ferry ph +64 44 499 1282 (Dominion Post Ferry). On weekdays the last scheduled ferry departs Queens Wharf at 2:15pm and Days Bay at 3:15pm.
We highly recommend for groups of more than two to book a place on the ferry. In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
All groups must let the island staff know their arrival time so that staff can assist once they land.
Visitors may also arrive by kayak or private vessel between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm at the wharf area only. See Matiu/Somes Island boat access for landing protocols.
Latitude: -41.25784063, Longitude: 174.86574992
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Book Matiu/Somes Island campsite online, or contact
Before you book:
- Read booking terms and conditions.
- Full payment is required at the time of booking.
- Cancellations must be made at least 10 days before the original occupancy date and within 48 hours of making the booking, otherwise a cancellation fee applies.
- Transfers are not able to be made less than or equal to 2 days before the first night of stay.
Know before you go
- The island has a complete fire ban. Fires, fuel/gas stoves or lanterns are not allowed. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Leave the campsite clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Bring a good torch with you, for around the camp and to take yourself for a night walk. If it has a red light all the better.