Upper Clutha River Track
This track, from Lake Wanaka Outlet to Luggate, follows along the river bank offering views of the Clutha’s emerald-green water with the odd trout lurking in its shadows.
Joggers, cyclists and walkers will enjoy shade in summer and shelter from the elements in winter.
You can walk the whole length or sections of the track.
A loop option is possible when combined with the Newcastle Track, located on the true left of the river.
Times and distances from carparks
- Lake Wanaka Outlet to Albert Town (Outlet Track) 1 hr, 3 km
- Albert Town to Cardrona River 1 hr, 2.5 km
- Cardrona River to Stevensons Road 1 -1 hr 30 min, 5 km
- Stevensons Road to Reko’s Point 1 hr, 4 km
- Reko’s Point to Shortcut Road carpark 1 hr, 4 km
- Shortcut Road carpark to Luggate 45 min, 3 km
The upper reaches of the Clutha between the Outlet and Albert Town are world renowned for fishing, with the waters home to a large population of introduced brown and rainbow trout. Both spinning and fly fishing work well, with fly fishing being the most productive method during the warmer months. A current fishing licence from Fish & Game New Zealand is required.
There are several carpark entrance points to begin or finish at: Lake Wanaka Outlet, Albert Town, Cardrona River, Stevensons Road, Reko’s Point, Shortcut Road and Luggate.
Know before you go
Dog access: Dogs are allowed off-leash in Albert Town Recreation Reserve, on the Outlet Track, and in the Cardrona Mouth Conservation Area.