Views from Rocky Mountain Summit towards Lake Wanaka
- Diamond Lake Circuit Track: 45 min return, 2.5 km
- Diamond Lake Lookout: 1 hr return, 2 km
- Lake Wanaka Lookout: 2 hr return, 5 km
- Rocky Mountain Summit Track: 3 hr return, 7 km
The track starts from the carpark and follows an old road to Diamond Lake.
From Diamond Lake, the track climbs steeply on a well formed track to a viewing platform above the lake. From here there are two options:
- A lower level circuit that takes in the Lake Wanaka viewpoint, with great views of both the lake and its islands. Sections of the track can be steep and are often slippery, even in summer. Extreme care is required. Because of ice, this track is not recommended during winter.
- An upper level circuit that winds its way to the top of 775 m Rocky Mountain. The views from here include the Southern Alps/Ka Tiritiri o te Moana and Mount Aspiring/Tititea.
Diamond Lake Conservation Area is 18.5 km west of Wanaka on the Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Road.
Mountain biking is permitted to Diamond Lake only.
The surrounding bluffs are very popular with rock or sport climbers, especially in summer when there is no ice on these southerly faces.
Nature and conservation
The Diamond Lake Conservation Area's landscape has been carved by Ice Age glaciers, with stands of native forest and shrubland nestling into bluff systems.