View of the Mahinepua Track
This well-formed track begins at picturesque Mahinepua Beach. Follow the signs and orange DOC markers up a shared driveway to the beginning of the Mahinepua Scenic Reserve. A series of steps have been installed that protect the prominent Maori pa sites.
There is a loop track three-quarters of the way along the main track. This will take you around a coastal walk encompassing stunning views of the Cavalli Islands, Cape Brett peninsula and, on a clear day, Mount Camel on the Karikari Peninsula.
Looking north to Motueka (Flat Island)
The Mahinepua Peninsula is about 40 min drive north of Kerikeri on State Highway 10.
To get to the start of the Mahinepua Peninsula Track from State Highway 10, turn east onto Wainui Road then Mahinepua Road. Park your car at the eastern end of Mahinepua Beach. Cross the stile and follow markers up the farm track to the Mahinepua Peninsula Scenic Reserve. Return via the same track.
Respect private property.
Access around the coast is not possible due to tide and reef limitations.
Nature and conservation
Mahinepua is home to rare plants such as the native mistletoe.
Know before you go
- No dogs or fires due to risks to wildlife.
- Keep to the track, cliffs exist in this area.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Carry warm, waterproof clothing, and food and drink, even on short walks.
- Stout shoes or walking boots are advisable.
- Local community groups are active in the area controlling pests so keep to the main track and keep clear of any traps you may find.