The hut is located in an idyllic landscape only a few steps from the water. The area has spectacular rock formations and fine regenerating coastal forest.
The hut provides an excellent base for exploring the Whangaroa area. You can enjoy a refreshing swim or simply relax on the deck.
The hut sleeps 16.
The hut is situated in Lane Cove at the western end of Pekapeka Bay (also known as the Western Arm) in the Whangaroa Harbour.
You can access the hut by boat from Totara North or Whangaroa township. At high tide you can unload almost at the doorstep.
Alternatively there is a two hour walk in on the Wairakau Stream Track from Campbell Road, Totara North (route - can be weather dependent due to stream crossings).
Topo50 map sheet: AU28
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1666802, N6125419
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
Pay when you make a booking – Backcountry Hut Tickets and Backcountry Hut Passes can't be used to pay for use of this hut.
Know before you go
- No tents or temporary structures are permitted in the reserve
- Hunting by permit only
- No dogs
- The hut is locked. You will receive instructions on getting the access code in your booking confirmation letter.
Help stop kauri dieback
Kauri dieback disease is killing our native kauri. It spreads by soil movement, but you can help prevent it.
- Stay on the track and off kauri roots.
- Clean your gear before and after visiting kauri forests.