The track runs up one side of Bream Head Ridge and drops down the other side into Peach Cove, a pretty little sandy beach. You'll pass through attractive coastal broadleaf forest, and you can stay the night at the Peach Cove hut.
Peach Cove Hut
Facilities: 8 bunk beds, mattresses
This track has lots of steep and narrow steps, and is recommended for people who are reasonably fit and agile.
A section of the Peach Cove Track intersects with the Te Whara Track. There are alternative routes:
- You can return the way you came or along the main track to Urquharts Bay or Ocean Beach (3 hours)
- Returning via Ocean Beach creates a loop option, as it is approximately 10 minutes walk from the beach back up the road to the Peach Cove car park
- Returning via Urqhuarts Bay it is 3 km from the Urquharts Bay car park to the Peach Cove car park.
The nearby Mount Manaia Track is well worth a visit. The track has been upgraded and the views across the harbour are excellent.
The start of Peach Cove Track is signposted on the right about 4 km along Ocean Beach road.
Park just inside the entrance way as this access is a private driveway.
Know before you go
- Do not interfere with pest traps.
- To minimise disturbance to the area, and out of respect to local iwi and their ancestors, keep to the marked tracks.
- Carry plenty of drinking water.
- Tracks can be slippery after rain.
- Be careful of tree roots on the track.
- The rocky outcrops have steep drop offs. Children should be well supervised.
- Northland reserve bylaws apply to Bream Head Scenic Reserve.