An ideal base for schools, youth and educational groups, to enhance learning about the natural environment.
There are education resources available, a nature study trail nearby and plenty of beach, estuary and bush walks.
The centre is available to other groups when not in use by schools. It is an ideal venue for sports groups, family reunions and celebrations.
Bunkroom in Ngarata Homestead
Lounge in Ngarata Homestead
The education centre consists of two buildings: an amenities block and the Ngarata Homestead.
- Sleeps 40 people in 7 bunkrooms of various sizes.
- Mattresses are provided.
- There is also a workroom, library, lounge and two toilets.
- Heating is by wood fires, firewood is provided.
- The homestead is connected to the Totaranui filtered water supply.
- The homestead has a sprinkler fire alarm system.
- Contains a dining room, toilets and showers, pantry, drying room and kitchen.
- Heating is provided by a log burner, firewood is provided.
- The kitchen is well equipped with one domestic stove, a commercial stove, a coal range, microwave, two fridges and a freezer.
- Cooking utensils are supplied, including pots and pans.
- A gas barbecue with gas is also available.
- Crockery and cutlery hire is available to private groups only - school groups are to supply their own.
All rubbish is removed by DOC, rubbish bins are on-site.
It is the groups’ responsibility to leave the homestead clean and tidy.
Please use the rubbish re-cycling bins.
Looking towards kitchen
Two public telephones are located at the Totaranui camp office. There is no cell phone coverage.
The centre is located at Totaranui Campground in the heart of the Abel Tasman National Park.
Totaranui is a 32 km drive east of Takaka of which 12 km is on unsealed road.
The gate at the camp entrance is locked overnight.
1 October - 31 March opening times: 7.30 am to 8.30 pm
1 April - 30 September opening times: 7.30 am to 6.30 pm
There are daily water taxi services from Marahau and Kaiteriteri (approx 1-2 hours) and a bus service operates in summer.
No booking can be assured until the deposit has been received.
Bookings for schools are accepted one year in advance.
The minimum fee is $280 per night, otherwise:
- Adults (18+ years): $17 per night
- Child/Youth (5 - 17 years): $8.50 per night
- Infants ( 0 - 4 years): free
The minimum fee is $450 per night from 10 December - 10 February, and $400 per night at all other times. Otherwise:
- Adults (18+ years): $35.00 per night
- Child/Youth (5 - 17 yeaars): $17 per night
- Infants (0 - 4 years): free
Bookings are only accepted if the homestead is not in use by school groups. Please note for the summer peak period, bookings are only accepted before 1 May, and will be balloted.
- Bush, native birds, estuary and beach studies.
- Glow worms, night walks.
- History study.
- Bush/survival skills.
- Swimming and kayaking - the estuary and beach provide opportunities suitable for all ages.
Know before you go
Totaranui is in Abel Tasman National Park and is subject to its regulations. In addition specific rules apply to users of the homestead and campground. These are displayed on-site and are available on request.
On arrival and departure all groups will be checked in/checked out by the DOC Ranger. Totaranui Campground is staffed all year round.