Tieke Kainga Hut
General tikanga (protocol)
- Visitors may be expected to participate in a powhiri if whanau are present at the marae in which case the process will be explained.
- It is customary to leave a koha (donation) during powhiri.
- The marae atea (grassy area in front of Marae) must be kept clear when visitors are going through the powhiri.
- The whare nui (meeting house on the marae atea) is for local people only; access into the whare nui is by invitation only.
- All rubbish must be carried out.
- Absolutely NO ALCOHOL permitted at Tieke.
- Smoking is permitted outside only, please keep the buildings smoke free.
- Shoes are not to be worn in the buildings, they should be left neatly on the deck.
- Clothes and washing should be hung on the designated clothes lines near the campground not on the decks or marae area. Please ask the local people if in doubt.
- Do not sit on tables, benches or chilly bins. Do not sit on any surface that would come in contact with food.
- Kitchen facilities are not to be used for personal hygiene tasks, i.e. brushing teeth etc. Please use the washbasins outside for those purposes.
- Please do not put tents up in the marae atea, use the designated campsites.
- It is courteous to ask for permission from the local people before taking photos at Tieke.
If in doubt feel free to approach your local hosts.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BJ32
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1771782, N5643882
- Adult (18 years and over): $32 per night
- Child (under 17 years): free but booking still required
- Adult (18 years and over): $15 per night
- Child (under 17 years): free