This is a family campsite in a coastal setting with excellent fishing and swimming next to the Matata wildlife refuge.
From 1 August 2017, no dogs will be allowed in the Matata Campsite.
Off Arawa Street on the beach side of Matata township. Campside is 200 m across a causeway.
Latitude: -37.88639276, Longitude: 176.76059781
- Adult (18+ years): $8 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $4 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
There is a $2 charge per booking to cover waste disposal.
Pay camp manager at the campsite office. Eftpos is available and the preferred payment option.
Bookings can be made for:
- Labour Day weekend (last weekend in October) - book from 1 October
- 18 December - 7 February
- Easter - book from 1 March
At all other times, spaces are available on a first come, first served basis.
Phone the on-site managers at the campsite.
Bird and wildlife watching
The campsite is next to the Matata wildlife refuge.
Know before you go
- Fires are not permitted at any time.
- Cats are not permitted in the campsite.
- Conserve water.
- Respect other campers by limiting noise.
- Dogs on a leash at all times.
Check-in, check-out and length of stay
- Pay and register on arrival.
- No public access 7 pm to 7 am.
- Vacate sites by 10.30 am.
- Maximum length of stay: 'two weeks in, one week out'.
- Refunds are only issued in exceptional circumstances, e.g. the closure of the camp due to a storm event. No refunds will be issued at the campsite - apply by writing to the local DOC office
||+64 7 322 2327
||Across Causeway opposite shops