Aerial view of the northern headland
There is now a Norski toilet at the end of the road on Puriri Ridge.
Camping on the island
Located on the North-western headland of Motuihe Island/Te Motu-a-Ihenga. There is a good boat anchorage adjacent to the Motuihe campsite.
The campground is to the left of the road coming off the Motuihe wharf, up the path to the right of the toilet block, only a few minutes walk from Motuihe wharf.
There is no transport available on the island to transport camping equipment.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1772695, N5925165
Latitude: -36.80361291, Longitude: 174.93584276
- Adult (18+ years): $6 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $3 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Pay at the self-registration stand at the campsite.
Bookings are essential.
Book Motuihe (Island) campsite online, or contact:
Before you book:
The Motuihe campsite is divided into five different zones.
Confidence Course: 5 tent sites on the western side of the sealed road, 25 m uphill from the toilet block.
Parade Ground: 25 tent sites on the headland above wharf road. Follow the timber box steps 100 m west of the toilet block.
Captain's Camping: 8 tent sites located at the end of the sealed road, uphill and to the left (325 m).
Puriri Ridge: 5 tent sites south of the sealed road amongst the puriri trees. Go uphill and around to the left (250 m).
Range: 5 tent sites south of the water tank tower. Go left off the sealed road (375 m).
View a map of campsite zones (PDF, 1,828K)
In the area
Camp only minutes from clear sheltered beaches and easily explore the entire island by foot.
Know before you go
- No fires. No fireworks. Gas cookers may be used.
- Bring a torch–there is no power supply or light at this campsite. No generators.
- Water available–this campsite has a spring-fed rural water supply. Giardia may be present. For your health, boil drinking water for at least 3 minutes.
- Pack in, pack out. There is no rubbish removal service on this island. Take your rubbish with you.
- The historic water tower is a major hazard, and the site is fenced off. Do not enter the inside of the perimeter fence or the tower.
Help keep Motuihe pest-free
Motuihe is free of animal pests, and the native wildlife on the island depends on your help to keep it that way. Check your gear for rats, mice and other pests.