North Head is located in Devonport at the northern headland of the Waitemata Harbour. You can drive to Devonport, or catch one of the regular ferries from downtown Auckland.
From Devonport, follow King Edward Parade along the waterfront and you will see signs to North Head. North Head is 2 km from the ferry terminal in Devonport and it is possible to walk from there.
Vehicle access is via Takarunga Road.
Know before you go
- There are holes, sudden drops and uneven surfaces, especially in the tunnels.
- Take care when exploring the reserve and supervise children at all times.
- Keep dogs on leashes at all times and remove dog litter.
- Do not light fires.
- Take your rubbish away with you. There are no bins on North Head.
- Do not remove or disturb any artefacts or other historic remains.
- Do not camp on the reserve.
- Non-compliance with these conditions may result in prosecution.
- The reserve is open at 6:00 am
- Vehicle access is via Takarunga Road
- Vehicle gate closes at 8:00 pm
- Pedestrian gates at Takarunga Road and at the southern end of Cheltenham Beach close at 10:00 pm