Set amongst remains of timber milling, kauri logging and whaling history, The Green is the smallest DOC campground on the island.
Facilities and services
- Campsite serviced 1 December to end of February.
- Picnic shelter available.
In the Whangaparapara Harbour, Great Barrier Island.
Passenger and vehicle ferry to Tryphena or Port FitzRoy. Air travel to Claris or Okiwi. Rental cars available for hire at Tryphena and Claris by arrangement.
It is a ten-minute walk to the campground from the end of Whangaparapara Road across the DOC reserve.
Access: Gravel road leading out of Whangaparapara. There is no drive on access to the campsite.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1815417, N5987031
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The campsite pass for rental campervans cannot be used at this campsite.
The DOC/NZMCA Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite except between 20 December and the end of Waitangi weekend.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
- Bookings should preferably be completed online. Phone and email bookings incur a service fee.
- Changes and additions to bookings will incur a fee up to $10 per alteration.
Book The Green campsite online, or contact:
Read the terms and conditions before you book.
In the area
North of here is the entry to the track network and Forest Road (closed to vehicles), with foot access to the hot springs and Port FitzRoy to the north.
Nearby Whangaparapara has a wharf and small community. The harbour and coastline are good for fishing and kayaking.
Know before you go
- No open fires are permitted, bring your own cooker or gas BBQ.
- Vehicle access to beach is not permitted.
- We recommend boiling water before use.
You will be asked to leave if behaving in a disorderly or offensive way (e.g. excessive alcohol, using foul language, noisy or riotous). Drinking in public and the public display of alcohol are not permitted.