Roads surrounding Tongariro National Park
It's easy to access Tongariro National Park, with road, rail and air access close by.
You can take a driving tour right around the whole park in a few hours. There are sweeping views of the volcanoes most of the way round in good weather.
The drive down the Desert Road (State Highway 1) is unique, passing through alpine desert and showing the wild side of the mountains. Highways 49, 4, 47 and 46 offer access to the main gateways into the park, the walking tracks and local towns.
- Road: Highways surround the park, leading to key access points and the ski fields.
- Train: The main trunk railway stops at the townships of National Park and Ohakune.
- Flights: Daily flights are available to and from Taupo Airport. Also, sightseeing and regular flights operate from Taupo, Turangi and Mt Ruapehu airstrips.
- Bus: Regular bus services are available to and from Ohakune, National Park, Whakapapa Village and Turangi.
- Shuttle buses: A variety of shuttle bus services are available to Whakapapa Village and hiking track trailheads from the nearby towns.
Ruapehu and tussock from the Desert Road