Where to hunt
Animals present are pigs and red deer.
The Oteake hunting area consists of over 70 000 hectares of mountainous high country, tussock plateaus, scree slopes, shrubland and wetland. It includes all of Oteake Conservation Park and some neighbouring areas, covering much of the St Bathans, Ewe, Hawkdun, Ida and St Marys ranges, and parts of the upper Manuherikia.
There are several access points suitable for all vehicles:
- Home Hills Run Road, off State Highway 85, 16 km northwest of Wedderburn
- Falls Dam Road, off St Bathans Loop Rd, 18 km northwest of Wedderburn
- Hawkdun Runs Road, off St Bathans Loop Rd, 21 km northwest of Wedderburn
- Mt Buster Road, off Little Kyeburn Rd, 8 km northeast of Naseby
- Danseys Pass, 30 km north of Kyeburn on Danseys Pass Road
- Broken Hut Road, off State Highway 8, 1 km west of Omarama
A number of 4WD and foot only access tracks lead beyond these points. Some of these cross private land on registered easements:
- You must ask permission from the landholder to take dogs or firearms over tracks that cross private land – in particular the Berwen and Shepherds Hut Creek Tracks acessing the Hawkdun Range.
- Keep to the formed tracks and leave gates as you find them.
NZTopo50 series: CA14, CA15, CB14, CB15, CB16, CB17
Oteake hunting block map (PDF, 1227K)
Dogs are allowed in this block with a hunting permit. You must have landholder permission for your dog, if accessing the block over private land.
Oteake Conservation Park: Places to stay
Oteake Conservation Park