You need to take a valid hunting permit with you at all times to legally hunt on land managed by DOC.
All blocks in the Greenstone/Caples Recreational Hunting Area (RHA) are restricted permit blocks issued by way of two ballot draws, one for April/May each year (the roar) and one for June to September. Ballot applications are accepted in November and February for the respective ballot periods.
A restricted permit means:
- the permit is issued for a specific hunting block only
- you need to request the permit from your local DOC office.
Restricted permits are also issued for gamebird, rabbit, hare and possum hunting with rimfire rifles, shotguns and .22s, and for animal fur trapping.
Information regarding the 2015 ballots
You can apply for the April/May 2015 ballot on our website from 1 November until 1 December 2014. You will be able to apply and submit directly online.
Before applying please ensure you have the following information:
- full name, address, phone number and firearms licence numberfor each member of your party
- your preferred hunting blocks (in order of preference from 1–5)
- preferred month
- email address of party leader.
The draw will take place in December under police supervision and party leaders advised of the results by late January 2015.
Applications for the June to September 2015 ballot will be made available on our website from 1 February until 1 March 2015. The draw will take place in March under police supervision and party leaders advised of the results by late March.
It is your responsibility to:
- find out about pesticide use in the area you are hunting in before your trip
- comply in full with the conditions under which the hunting permit is issued
- comply with each area’s special conditions for hunting and the use of dogs
- get permission from any private land owners before you cross their land
- ensure you do not hunt on restricted hunting areas unless you have received separate consent from the relevant DOC issuing office
- carry a hunting permit with you whenever you go hunting on land managed by DOC.
View the permit conditions